buying a new lr4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NasDiesel,
I might end up going the order route as well. Out of curiosity, how close are we to being able to order the 2013's? Any clue on if there are material differences?

David, saw you px of the coopers, very nice, and your car at Hollister? Tell me about your underbody protection? Is that the OEM land rover option or did you go a different route. Any opinions, feedback?

Really appreciate all the feedback from everyone. Very excited to be close to buying a new rover...hopefully my brief heretical foray into jeeps will be forgotten soon....

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NasDiesel,
I might end up going the order route as well. Out of curiosity, how close are we to being able to order the 2013's? Any clue on if there are material differences?

David, saw you px of the coopers, very nice, and your car at Hollister? Tell me about your underbody protection? Is that the OEM land rover option or did you go a different route. Any opinions, feedback?

Really appreciate all the feedback from everyone. Very excited to be close to buying a new rover...hopefully my brief heretical foray into jeeps will be forgotten soon....
bromhead,

I will forgive your short fling with Jeeps. Haha! :) Actually, most of the Jeep people I know are really nice, though sometimes I "feel" them hating on me when they stare me down at a red light. Hehe!

Yes, the off-road pictures are all taken at Hollister Hills SVRA - that's the only place I have been off-roading except for a few fire roads. I have the front sump (skid) guard and step/slider combos from GN Vehicle Protection in the UK. My half-rack and ladder came from Voyager, who also makes some nice slider/step combos. I know Land Rover makes an OEM front skid plate, but it's very pricey and does not appear to be as rugged as some of the aftermarket options. Though I could be wrong?

If you find out you want to order some accessories through GN Vehicle Protection, let me know... I'll put you in touch with the owners.

-David

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NasDiesel,

I think it is very close to the window of '13's. I don't know officially but my sales guy said they start production late August. No idea on the material differences. I can't imagine much until they introduce diesel in '14 probably.

fotoflojoe

Reaction score
david,
Because I am a poser? :)
I guess I am of the mindset that the reason I want a LR, is that I want a extremely capable 4x4. I realize a stock LR4 is probably, except for ground clearance, better than my 97 Disco (its lifted), but if I am going to buy a new one, why not get the best that they offer? If 4x4 capability wasn't so important, i think the cayenne, x5, q7, etc might be attractive options.

I am sure that I will not put the vehicle to its test that much the first few years as I will be conscious of beating the crap out of a new 60k car...and thats why I kept the Disco, but eventually I will end up driving it pretty hard.

Net net, i appreciate that its a bit irrational, but for some reason, thats part of the appeal of the rover. To just show how stupid I really am, besides the locker, I also wish I could get her in 18in tires with a few more inches of lift...and why not throw the diesel in as well....or just sell me a NAS Defender! :)

Its funny, I really rebelled against all the creature comforts..one of the reasons I didn't upgrade to a LR3 when the disco turned 10 or so, but after having my loaded Grand Cherokee for 6 months, I turned soft and really appreciate all the luxury options both cars have...(hopefully the rover will be different in that it will actually work...)

It's your money on the line, so there's absolutely nothing irrational about holding out to get exactly what you want.

Regarding invoice prices: edmunds.com lists both invoice price and msrp for vehicles right down to option package levels based on the zip code you enter, so they make it really easy.

Best of luck with your purchase!

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Diesel...I need to stop thinking about it, otherwise I will hold of my purchase for another year (which I think I may have been doing for a few years now!). If I was positive it would come out in 2 or so years, i might even lease.

Cars.com also seems to list the invoice price. I am at around 52.8k for a HSE, CCP, HDP and sat/hd radio. I also need to find another dealer as no one seems to take invoice + 2% seriously down here...at least from my ********...:)

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Diesel...I need to stop thinking about it, otherwise I will hold of my purchase for another year (which I think I may have been doing for a few years now!). If I was positive it would come out in 2 or so years, i might even lease.

Cars.com also seems to list the invoice price. I am at around 52.8k for a HSE, CCP, HDP and sat/hd radio. I also need to find another dealer as no one seems to take invoice + 2% seriously down here...at least from my ********...:)
Don't even get me started on the diesel. :)

I am holding off on some bigger accessories (winch, more underbody protection, etc.) and the 18" wheels until I decide if I am keeping my LR4. It all depends what comes out in a year or two.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Diesel is inevitable but I have a feeling they will push a hybrid model out first here. I'm kind of disappointed they didn't roll out the 8 speed ZF stateside in '12.

But I wonder whether LR will need to dump the current Discovery 3/4 body for something lighter in '14/'15 and whether LR will wait to introduce diesel after that is done. If they do, I think I'd stick to the LR4 for the long run.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Diesel is inevitable but I have a feeling they will push a hybrid model out first here. I'm kind of disappointed they didn't roll out the 8 speed ZF stateside in '12.

But I wonder whether LR will need to dump the current Discovery 3/4 body for something lighter in '14/'15 and whether LR will wait to introduce diesel after that is done. If they do, I think I'd stick to the LR4 for the long run.
I am with you!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99