buying a new lr4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going the lemon law route with my 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee and I am looking at a 2012 LR4...probably a HSE with CCP, SAT and Heavy Duty.

What services did anyone use to get a good rate? I have membership in USAA and Costco. It worked well for buying the Jeep, unfortunately the post sale experience was disappointing...

Thanks for the help!

Cheers,

Chris

horacioad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check truecar.com for a good idea of how much to pay in your area. I don't know of any "clubs" that will offer a discount, at least not here in WI.

LRnewbie11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know you can usually do pretty good with the USAA car buying service. Don't know if you are a member or not but that is my suggestion. You are right though Costco or American Express also has car buying discounts for members. Good luck.

uhur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...around $3-3.5K off is your target. Don't bother with clubs, just negotiate and cross-shop.

fotoflojoe

Reaction score
...around $3-3.5K off is your target. Don't bother with clubs, just negotiate and cross-shop.

Great advice right there.
Find out what the dealer invoice price is in your area - in my locale, the difference between invoice and msrp is pretty substantial. Most auto sites will have that information. I got the info from Consumer Reports website, as I happen to be a subscriber.

Just today, I purchased and took delivery of a 2012 LR4 HSE Lux + HD/Sat radio. I offered invoice plus 2%, and the dealer accepted.
I seem to remember reading somewhere that invoice plus 2% is a good starting point for negotiations.
Always negotiate up from invoice, not down from msrp.

Couple things to keep in mind: I shopped several local dealers via email, being adamant that until a firm offer was presented, the only contact allowed was through email. Serious dealers were the ones who complied and pursued. In the end it came down to two dealers countering each other.

Also, the specific configuration I bought is pretty common (in my region - Northeast - anyway). Every dealer had several copies of the exact model/option configuration, so it's not like I scored a rare/exotic color (Buckingham Blue) or option combo.

YMMV.
Good luck!

P.S. This is my first post, first time Land Rover owner. Love this vehicle!

Last edited:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey fotoflojoe,

Welcome to the forum! Please be sure to post pictures of your new LR4!

-David

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
invoice +2%...so, the vehicle I am looking at, HSE with HD, Sat, CCP comes in a 52,8k...so a bit over 1k over invoice. Funny, you are haggleing over about 1k or so below invoice in the jeep world. My problem is that, out in the west coast, the HD option is very rare. we will see though. Thank you for the help.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72