Check the right upper rear strut ball bolt.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just thought I would post the link below re a potential "torque relaxation" concern as LR puts it. The concern is not a new one - goes back to 2005 but the LR4 still suffers as torque relaxation is apparently not a concern worthy of the factory's attention as it only affects about half the fleet and is rarely a warranty issue.

Basically the ball nut that holds the top of the right hand side strut that helps to hold up the upper portion of the rear hatch undoes itself - torque relaxation in LR words.

The problem is not the torque relaxation but the fact the nut the ball bolt is supposed to be screwed to falls to the bottom of the inside of the D pillar.

To retrieve the nut and screw it back on, the factory solution is to remove the vehicle interior. Once the interior is removed and the nut retrieved, the task only takes about five minutes. Then of course, there is the not so small matter of reinstalling the interior and that may include all the seats if you do not know the tricks.

If there is any good news, it is not necessary to remove the body from the frame as seems to apply to some of the other owner concerns, particularily with those in the rest of the world , (ROW), who have the diesel powered units.

As outlined in the link, an alternative prior to the big event is to take a thin 13mm open end wrench and tighten the ball bolt before the nut falls off. Check the other side as well as sometimes it is also loose.

The permanent fix is some Loctite on the threads, also well within our abilities. (Land Rover, making mechanics out of drivers since 1948.)

If the ball bolt is loose, make certain you tighten it in the correct direction as it may be so loose that you only get one chance at it.

http://bit.ly/1lMw0oB

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A real nice top, a picture would be really helpful if you have one.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
picture of the ball stud

Post number 7 on the first page of the link below has a pretty good jpg.

If one looks closely, one can see the loose ball stud slanting downwards with exposed threads - kind of like what mine looked like a few years back.

Loctite and a thin 13mm wrench seemed to have resolved the concern before it was a problem. I still check the stud every few months as at some point, the Loctite will let go and the problem will return.

http://bit.ly/1lMw0oB

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah.... ya, the lift gate strut... Thanks..