Upper ball joint hex broke- any advice getting this back together?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JimmyY

Reaction score
Having a hard time with this UCA ball joint. Hex was rusted out and nylon bolt would not break away from the threads. Managed to bang a T35 up into the bolt to break the nut free- but in the process I snapped the T35 inside!!!
Can't drill or knock it out now. Think I can buy an equivalent bolt (M22 1.5)without nylon in order to torque it up without spinning the bolt? I already tried ratchet strapping it into place, but bolt kept spinning. This nylon bolt barely budges - obviously for safety, but damn.
PXL_20230610_004505880.jpg

I do need to get my grease gun to re-grease the boot.

Thanks !!

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The hex stud should be held stationary while you turn the nut to loosen.
Never the other way around.

JimmyY

Reaction score
Yes, in that process is snapped off. I figure if I get a nut without nylon I won't get any movement on the bolt and I can torque it up. I'm going to try grinding it out today with the Dremel, fingers crossed I can punch a new hex head into it.

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An air/electric impact wrench will spin the nut fast enough to screw it all the way on.

Last edited:

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I must be missing something, but why is the next step not removing the ball joint and replacing it with a new one?

JimmyY

Reaction score
Upper ball joint is fine, I just had to remove it to replace CV axle. The nylon nut gets caught up too much to impact on. Are these meant to be a one time use ? Maybe I'll order a new nut. I torched the crap out of it today but no luck. I really banged up a T35 into stud to get it to hold, so it's jammed up there pretty good.

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The nut can be reused. A new nut wouldn't be any easier to install.
Try taking a ratchet strap and compressing the ball joint stud into the spindle.
It may hold the stud enough to tighten the bolt.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72