Check to be sure you can actually use your spare tire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As part of my winter tire changeover process, I also lower my full size spare tire and add some air as it loses a couple of pounds over a year. Unfortunately I found the winch completely seized/rusted in place. There was no way that I could turn it with that flimsy rod with the loop hook at the end. If I did get a flat tire this would have been a nightmare.

I had to clamp a vise-grip to the tab with the hole then turn the vise-grip with a pipe wrench. I was finally able to break it free. I sprayed lots of WD40 into the area but will probably replace the winch. I'm going to see if the LR3 spare tire winch is still available. Instead of the tab-with-a-hole, it has a 22mm nut that you turn with the lug nut wrench or any 22mm socket to raise & lower the tire.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
similarly, my spare tire mechanism stopped working over the summer. it bound up in the lowered position when inspecting the spare.

i removed the winch, drilled out a few spot welds, opened the gear casing, re-greased and rewound the cable. I tack welded it back together and sealed the unit best i could with waterproofing roofing sealant.

sounds more involved than it is, but a little over 1hr of work saved $100 cost to replace the winch. Luckily i had the grease and sealant at my house, so it was a "free" repair.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Instead of the tab-with-a-hole, it has a 22mm nut that you turn with the lug nut wrench or any 22mm socket to raise & lower the tire.

In addition to rusting and seizing, these winches are also prone to having the cable bind up on itself. My indy told me that based on his experience, he would NEVER use a power drill especially to lower the wheel (not saying you were planning to do this). He also said to be extra careful when lowering the winch if it isn't bearing any weight. A sure recipe for binding.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In addition to rusting and seizing, these winches are also prone to having the cable bind up on itself. My indy told me that based on his experience, he would NEVER use a power drill especially to lower the wheel (not saying you were planning to do this). He also said to be extra careful when lowering the winch if it isn't bearing any weight. A sure recipe for binding.

this is exactly what i made the mistake of doing.

once the spare is off the winch, do not lower the cable any further.....

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
he would NEVER use a power drill especially to lower the wheel

I do this all the time... Maybe I should stop.

Although I have good speed control with the drill, and don't continue to lower it once it hits the ground. I also don't crank on it when it comes up...

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I think this is why they changed the design from a 22mm bolt to that tab with a hole & loop rod. Shops were using the 22mm air hammer drill on the winch and ruining them.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think this is why they changed the design from a 22mm bolt to that tab with a hole & loop rod. Shops were using the 22mm air hammer drill on the winch and ruining them.

Bingo. I had a shop use an air gun when they had to drop the tire for some body work. New winch design got rid of the bolt in favour of the loop. I actually took my old winch apart. It is pretty Micky Mouse. The design relies on a press fit of the components. If a little torque is applied when the winch is fully drawn in then the pressure is put on the assembly which breaks. It does not take much force to break it so just snug that spare up, it doesn't need 100 lbs lol.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I swap the spare to rotate it once a year and always inspect the mechanism. So far so good. My '13 has the hole for the hook.

I actually will be doing that tonight, when I will put on the winter Hakka's. It's also when I take the opportunity to treat surface rust on the frame with rust reformer. But I'm lucky to have a lift, so that makes it easy for me.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
once the spare is off the winch, do not lower the cable any further.....

In my situation I had (very carefully) raised the cable to stow position with no spare underneath. My indy got an assistant to get underneath and tug on the carrier plate at the end of the cable as he slowly lowered it.

Tejonito

Reaction score
Already took mine apart and repaired it on 2 separate occasions. I think the prior owner pretty much did it in.

So now that it's a horked a 3rd time, my solution with larger tires is: rip out the winch and put my spare on the roof. Done and done. A fully inflated 265/65/18 doesnt fit under there anyway (even with the heat shield removed).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72