Coolant smell, sloshing sound, but Rad is full....any ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scostagl

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've done quite a bit of searching in this forum for my issue, but I still can't figure it out. About 3 months ago, I started hearing a water sloshing sound coming from the passenger side of the instrument panel. Sure enough, my coolant was about 2 pints low. I filled it up, and the noise went away for about 2 weeks. Now, its back, and the collant expansion tank is still full (checked when cold, of course). Its been like this for over a month.

I'm also getting a coolant smell coming from outside the car (not coming from the interior heat). I can't see evidence of any coolant leaks, and my level is still full even after many miles / weeks of driving. My guess is that I have a small head gasket leak, and its causing this coolant burning smell? No water in oil or vice-versa, and the car still seems to have full power, no white smoke. No codes either.

The only other thing I heard was that this could be some type of coolant / heat exchanger o-ring failure? I read a post on here about someone having to replace a cheap o-ring to fix the sloshing sound....but it didn't have much detail.

Any help / ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks!

scostagl

Reaction score
Oh yeah, sorry....this is a 2004 Discovery SE. 55k miles.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Could also be an air pocket in the coolant system... try running the engine with the front end at a steep angle and the heater on... let it run for 10 - 15 minutes, then let it cool down and refill the radiator.

dcreekmore

Reaction score
I had the same sound after I had my 60k service done. They had got air in the coolant system. I think some of the posters on here have some tricks to gettting it out.

scostagl

Reaction score
oK - Front up or front down? I'll give it a try, but I still don't think this would explain the coolant smell?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Front up.... coolant smell could be anything from the heater core getting too hot from an air bubble to antifreeze splashing when you added it... or a minor leak...

scostagl

Reaction score
Ah, I didn't think of that....makes sense that the air pocket would be making the exposed metal hot - and that the sloshing effect could be "burning" off a little bit of coolant.

Thanks for the tips....I'm heading off to my favorite trail this weekend to find a steep grade to get that front end up!

meyersd

Reaction score
I would say x2 on the air bubble, but check your head gaskets for leaks too.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99