CPO warranty valuation?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Possibly looking a super-low miles LR4 with the CPO warranty. Curious how you guys would place a value on the warranty to compare against other non-warrantied cars. $750/year of coverage? 1000/ year?

I'm assuming its not going to cover wear items like control arms so kind of hit or miss. Hopefully things like chains, coolant cross-overs are covered.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CPO is 7year/100K from in service date.

Looking at one with in service date of 9/2016 and 40K miles, so fall of 2023 it'd be.

For me, it would depend on how much I'd drive it. If you expect to get close to the 100k miles in 3 years, I'd put a lot more value on the CPO than, if like me, you expect to drive it 5k miles per year. Either way it's great to have, but in the low mile situation, I may value it half as much as if I drove it 20k miles/year. Just a thought.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would pay $100/month for that peace of mind. Realistically most stuff starts to break/wear out after this mileage so you are buying in the event of a catastrophic failure of a major component. Since you have no idea how it has been treated beforehand the warranty is nice to have while you get comfortable with it over the next couple of years.

Make sure the selling dealer is holding up their end of the bargain on the CPO. Check brakes, tires and anything else are new or have lots of life left. Check the wipers (esp the back one). A CPO should have new new new. ;). Any missing or loose interior trim? A CPO should not have those etc.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CPO did not cover my control arms or a few other wear items.

It did cover my EAS compressor, front crossover pipe, timing chains, radiator, water pump, and a few other little things.

Johnnycakes

Reaction score
I paid $2900 for an extra 4 years and up to 75K total miles (I had 29K on it at the time of purchase). This was through the Land Rover/Assurant VPP.

tacos&beer

Reaction score
CPO did not cover my control arms or a few other wear items.

It did cover my EAS compressor, front crossover pipe, timing chains, radiator, water pump, and a few other little things.

According to Land Rover the CPO warranty does not cover any plastic components. They denied coverage on my recent replacement of the front crossover pipe. You got yours covered ?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to Land Rover the CPO warranty does not cover any plastic components. They denied coverage on my recent replacement of the front crossover pipe. You got yours covered ?

Yep. In May 2017. Now that I think about it, I believe the CPO warranty is a little different now. I think it goes a year longer but it might cover less stuff?

My CPO was 6 years from first in-service or 100k miles. For my particular LR4, it was a 3-year, 60k mile warranty from the point I bought the car.

The "not covered" part of my CPO was a wear item. Drivetrain was pretty much 100% covered (except obvious wear things like belts). LCA bushings are considered wear items and not covered.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72