Crazy to add Tactical Rear bumper at 104k?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MATT MEADER

Reaction score
110k is nothing. In addition, anyone that buys the LR4 after you've beat it up off-roading is going to also off-road and be attracted to rear bumper and tire carrier. I'd say it's an easy decision. Buy it. I'm assuming you already have Tactical's sliders? Those have been my most used aftermarket equipment.

gabrielef

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The T44 bumper is definitely DIY. And btw.. the longer we get from these things being new, the MORE I assume owners are mechanically capable and doing more work DIY on these things. These vehicles are not that complex if you get to know them and not that practical to own if you don't work on them yourself. Just get a friend to help you palce it on there and get it in place and slap the bolts in. Mess with the fender wells and your done.

I always said that these rigs are not very cool when new, because 90+% of them are just driven around by know nothing owners and have them worked on in the shop. The older they get the more close knit the community around them is and the more owners will be doing all the work themselves. OLD Land Rovers are cool.

I would only recommend the t44 bumper to folks who plan to need it to carry water, or need the space under for a long ranger tank, etc. Its a great bumper. I've had mine since 2017. I am only now getting the long ranger tank (28 gallons additional). I ordered it recently and will have to wait till summer for it to come from austrailia.

View attachment 21460

View attachment 21461
I purchased the LRA tank for my LR4 and just waiting to install it. I believe LRA here in the US had one on their shelf a few months ago.

jazzy13

Reaction score
Pretty easy to put on. However, if you're not comfortable doing it yourself and can't find anyone in the area to help (or who won't charge $1k plus), and if you've got some time, you could make a trip out of it...head to Southern CA to pick up the bumper and have Eric install it for a couple hundred dollars, then go hit some trails as there are lots in Southern CA. I was living in Northern CA when I ordered mine (bumper, tire and jerry can holder) several years back; I was planning a trip anyway, so I swung by the TR shop first to have the bumper installed before I ventured out.

DrDan

Reaction score
I bought a whole package from Tactical last July and it was delivered at the beginning of Dec.
Unfortunately the shipper was very careless, looks like they dropped the palette off the fork lift.
As I will be installing things outside, I need to wait for good weather (we have snow on the ground).
There are several places on each piece where the powdercoat was scratched, so I also need warm
enough weather for touch up work. I plan to do the installation myself with help from my brother. I
was a mechanic in the army so no fears of turning a wrench. There are gaps in the install instructions
from Tactical, but a LR4 service manual has helped with pictures and torque specifications.

Magus, if you care interested you can drive up to Ft. Collins to watch and help when I get ready to
do the installs.

Attachments

• IMG_1331.JPG
    IMG_1331.JPG
    191.7 KB · Views: 31

Mark Larocca

Reaction score
Personally I'd say...maybe. I'm in a similar position as you with 93k on the clock and have a long wishlist of parts on order, and hopfully Gobi coming in a few weeks, even approaching 6 figure mileage. Do you love it? Are you keeping it even when she needs guides/chains etc? Also, adding desireable parts makes it much easier to sell used if you do part with the truck. That's what I tell myself. :)
I had over 300K on a LR 3. Sold it and the new owner is still driving it….Granted the LR4 is a different engine… But I think it will also go the distance!

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those of you with the Tactical rear bumpers.

Is it possible to run it day to day without the swingout spare and with the spare back underneath? Then put the swingout spare back on before a wheeling trip or whenever?
I take the jerry can holder off once in awhile. It is pretty easy. One bolt and the gas strut and move the license plate. Takes maybe 10 minutes to remove or install an arm. Very reasonable to do that.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@mbw

You will love that auxiliary tank. It is the single best mod I have made to mine, and I have made a lot.

I highly suggest you get a local welder to mod the included filler neck to work on a NA spec truck (assuming LRA is still shipping with the same neck from several years ago). It is a bit of a pain to do it that way, but it makes for a cleaner and more reliable install. I have seen a few of these setups over the years that were kludged together using all manner of pvc and plastic parts to get it to work, but they looked just like that; a kludge. Mine is going on five years or so without issue so far.

If you are referring to the size difference in the dual filler they provide and the OE filler tube size, then ya.. i will either have it modified or use the 1" to 1.5" fuel filler adapter I bought that is stainless. I don't plan on cutting the OE filler up to make adapters and all that crap they have in the instructions.

Other than that filler tube size issue it all looks pretty straight forward to install. I plan to do it myself.

RobRover88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
G'day Magus, US$ 4K does seem verrry steep even with fitting. I've carefully checked out a D4 with the
Tactical rear bar & spare mount & I reckon the Kaymar rear bar & mount is superior in several ways.
Mine cost me just over AUS$3K fitted at Kaymar's factory. The US$4K is around AUS$5,7K so it'd need
to be platinum-plated!!
Your mileage is no problem as long as you maintain the vehicle as per LR requirements & find a top LR
indy service guy.
Three main reasons for replacing your OE rear bumper are making the spare more accessible, fitting an
aux. fuel tank in place of spare & strengthening the rear end of your vehicle. Plus I reckon it makes the
vehicle look more like it should - not like a shopping car, as most D4's are used for daily.
An aux. tank is quite cheap - around 2/3rd the cost of the bar (fitted) and it's invaluable if you use the
vehicle for long-distance cruising or serious trail runs. However with 2 full tanks (190+ liters) & the
weight of the bar & tank, bull-bar, underbody protection, 2 people & bags/gear in the vehicle it's getting up close to the gross vehicle mass - at least it is Down Under - 3.25 tons approx.
If you fit loads of aftermarket gear it means you'll want to keep it even if it blows its motor bigtime. Also
it can add value because of its uniqueness, but only to someone who's looking for a serious off-roader.
Check out the Kaymar rear bar & Brown-Davis aux tank. Exchange rate is good right now & freight cost
is not too bad - if a bit slow.

gabrielef

Full Access Member
Reaction score
G'day Magus, US$ 4K does seem verrry steep even with fitting. I've carefully checked out a D4 with the
Tactical rear bar & spare mount & I reckon the Kaymar rear bar & mount is superior in several ways.
Mine cost me just over AUS$3K fitted at Kaymar's factory. The US$4K is around AUS$5,7K so it'd need
to be platinum-plated!!
Your mileage is no problem as long as you maintain the vehicle as per LR requirements & find a top LR
indy service guy.
Three main reasons for replacing your OE rear bumper are making the spare more accessible, fitting an
aux. fuel tank in place of spare & strengthening the rear end of your vehicle. Plus I reckon it makes the
vehicle look more like it should - not like a shopping car, as most D4's are used for daily.
An aux. tank is quite cheap - around 2/3rd the cost of the bar (fitted) and it's invaluable if you use the
vehicle for long-distance cruising or serious trail runs. However with 2 full tanks (190+ liters) & the
weight of the bar & tank, bull-bar, underbody protection, 2 people & bags/gear in the vehicle it's getting up close to the gross vehicle mass - at least it is Down Under - 3.25 tons approx.
If you fit loads of aftermarket gear it means you'll want to keep it even if it blows its motor bigtime. Also
it can add value because of its uniqueness, but only to someone who's looking for a serious off-roader.
Check out the Kaymar rear bar & Brown-Davis aux tank. Exchange rate is good right now & freight cost
is not too bad - if a bit slow.
I would present the argument that the Kaymar is not a better product, as I have seen both and interacted with both. The Kaymar is missing a couple features that set the Tactical Rovers apart. Truly, the TR bumper is just over $2700 if you get dual swing outs, kick outs, dual jerry can holder, and the powder coat option (before taxes and shipping). From a US buyer perspective, the Kaymar is a harder sell with a retail of $3200 before taxes and shipping, and they only offer a single jerry can holder.

EDIT: I will say, however, that the Kaymar brand and product is legendary.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV