Dealers who can sell / ship Castrol SLX 5w-20

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bash535i

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, there are no Land Rover dealers within 125 miles that sell the recommended oil (Castrol SLX 5w-20) by the quart- they have bulk only.

I've tried searching here and elsewhere, but don't seem to be able to find it on the net. Please post any info if you are aware of a dealer who has it and is willing to sell over the net or phone and ship.

Short of that, is there a consensus on an alternate oil that won't void our warranty?

thanks!

overblown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From the research I've done, there are better oils out there. I have no doubt that the Castrol "special" oil thing is just a marketing gimic and part of a deal that was struck between LR and Castrol. Happens all the time actually. As advanced as it is, it's just an engine made of metal and it's moving parts must be protected like any other engine. Not saying that bottom shelf oil is ok, just that I wouldn't stress out on not finding the SLX. I personally am a big fan of Mobil 1 and I plan on using it in this truck as well. Check out this test. http://www.performanceoilnews.com/oils_against_oils.shtml

Last edited:

bash535i

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update:

Although I firmly believe that Overblown is correct in his assessment, I wanted to stick with the factory recommended oil at least until I get my "free" oil change at the first 15K miles. Since I plan on this being a keeper, I want to change the oil out after the first 2500 miles or so and then again at the midway point to 15K.

Going through some older Jaguar forums, I found that Nalley Jaguar out of Atlanta will sell and ship the required oil. The price was fair and the man on the other end of the phone was top-notch.

I'm in no way affiliated with any dealership, let alone this one. Hopefully they don't mind me spreading the word that they are great folks to deal with. I figured anything that we can pass along in the forum can only help make it better.

guss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got to get from Dealer.Not made in USA .You must use this only for many engine Requirements. It's a great oil for 10-15 thousand miles.10 thousand if ou want longevity out of converter on Rover

bash535i

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a fyi.

I wasn't able to find it on here, but the correct filter wrench/cap to access the filter is the Assenmacher AHJA9015 90mm 15-flats Jaguar Oil Filter Wrench.

IslandStyle

Reaction score
...I wanted to stick with the factory recommended oil at least until I get my "free" oil change at the first 15K miles.

Check with your dealer, but they should give you your oil change whenever you want it, not when you hit 15k. That should buy you some time. I had my dealer do mine at 5k last summer.

BTW, thanks for the specifics on the filter wrench. I read on another Rover forum that some NAPAs carry SLX 5w. The poster did mention there was some haggling involved (bulk purchase). I'd probably buy three boxes if given the chance. I haven't tried NAPA yet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72