Dealership Multi-Point Inspection INSANE Recommendations!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mmbirtcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dropped of my LR4 the other day for the fuel tank flange repair. A couple interesting things from that convo - I asked if they would check and advise in the DTC I am getting regarding air fuel mixture and they said sure, for $209. I said I pass, thanks. They then did it anyway (for free) as part of a multi-point inspection I guess they do on any Rover coming in for service. Cool! I'm down with that.

Then the recommended services and pricing and my jaw hit the floor....

- I did ask for a price on a new fuel pump while the tank is dropped. Shouldn't be any increase in labor? Well, that's $715
installed.
- Front Brakes are at 3mm so they recommend pads and rotors for $1400!!! :rofl:
- The transfer case has a leak, but they can reseal it for only $1800! Uhm, no. thanks though.
- They diagnosed the air / fuel as a leaking exhaust manifold and or catalytic converters so the recommend replacing both Cats and related tubing I guess. This moderate size job for a steal at about $15,000 (no. that's not a typo). Any techs on here that have thoughts on this one??!! WOW! :oops:

As you can see, I passed on all suggestions... I will order new pads and rotors and self install or let a trusted shop complete, I'll have a reputable muffler shop close by check the exhaust (I do believe that it is leaking, but given I can source the parts for $1600 new I will have a shop complete if needed). The transfer case, well, it is a Land Rover after all....

This makes me think. Land Rovers have a reputation as undependable and expensive to fix. Is it North American dealers doing this??

2821DB5D-5F65-4ABF-BF9C-B5C9A90F713C.pngFAD2226D-89BE-4523-8971-3766B45FAFEF.pngA18B356C-7BFB-4687-8A01-72381018F96F.png3B8D2D36-EA86-44FB-8AA0-355D8E0EF160.png960D64AC-0FF2-4CBB-B4FD-A22B23351613.png

16FujiDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mean it’s a very plausible theory. anytime I go in they always find something; brake pads, tires, BG44 treatment. Last time it was condensation in the brake fluid and needed a flush; current fluid is 2yrs 20k mi old.

I think another factor is the clientele of LR owners; most don’t do their own maintenance or know their way around under the hood, and they have the pockets to pay dealer prices. I think it’s similar to people taking advantage women at garages.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've always thought the wealthiest of the Land Rover owners aren't necessarily the ones who buy the new, high end vehicles. It's the one that buy the new vehicles and then drive them well past the warranty, still taking them to the Land Rover dealers and paying whatever the dealers want to keep them tip top.

My home is near one of the wealthiest neighborhoods in the country, and there are several homes there where I see people still driving MK III Range Rovers. I do not doubt they get taken to my local dealer for maintenance.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dealer found nothing on my vehicle, which I was pleased with.

Also isn't the fuel pump replaced as part of the recall? Or did they quote you for the high pressure fuel pumps?

mmbirtcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dealer found nothing on my vehicle, which I was pleased with.

Also isn't the fuel pump replaced as part of the recall? Or did they quote you for the high pressure fuel pumps?
I looked up that part number and it doesn’t show as a fuel pump so I really have no idea. The number does not match the correct fuel pump for and LR4.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just thinking this morning that my dealer must just want people in and out. I've got the "Service Required" message on my dash that I've been too lazy to use my iiD tool to reset, and my dealer didn't say a thing about it yesterday.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO, an out of warranty Rover should never darken the door of a dealership again.

This makes me cringe, because my wife drives a 2016 supercharged L405, and she is a dealership believer. The only guy I let touch my LR4 besides me is a former long-time Rover dealer tech, but because he runs his shop out of a metal building, my wife has a hard time wrapping her head around the fact that he can service her car as effectively as a dealer for about half the cost. Especially since my guy is cool with me bringing my own parts.

To each their own, but if I drop $15K on any part of my Rover, it's going to have pistons and a crankshaft as part of the assembly being replaced.

On a positive note, I'm leaving right now to drop my 4 off with my guy to install the magical, unbreakable L8 CV axles.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
I recently had an exhaust leak, so, I pulled my heads off to do both exhaust manifold gaskets. I still ended up spending under $2k and diy the entire project. I spent 4-5 days over 14 hours a day pulling it apart, cleaning, rethreading most holes, and putting it back together. Taking it apart and putting it back together to torque specs was the easy part, cleaning (remove carbon build up on the pistons and head) and rethreading (cleaning out all threads on the head, block, and exhaust manifold) took forever and literally a whole day. It runs and sounds so much better. I can see how hours upon hours of labor can add up at $180-$200/hr. I also doubt they'll clean anything up or rethread holes for longevity and future maintenance.

mmbirtcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently had an exhaust leak, so, I pulled my heads off to do both exhaust manifold gaskets. I still ended up spending under $2k and diy the entire project. I spent 4-5 days over 14 hours a day pulling it apart, cleaning, rethreading most holes, and putting it back together. Taking it apart and putting it back together to torque specs was the easy part, cleaning (remove carbon build up on the pistons and head) and rethreading (cleaning out all threads on the head, block, and exhaust manifold) took forever and literally a whole day. It runs and sounds so much better. I can see how hours upon hours of labor can add up at $180-$200/hr. I also doubt they'll clean anything up or rethread holes for longevity and future maintenance.
That’s an insane amount of time. I am certain you did it 100% correctly though. Besides the DTC I rarely notice anything. On rare occasion I’ll notice a bit of what I believe to be exhaust leak noise. I didn’t think this was an issue with these cars. And possibly more work then swapping the engine??

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score

When you decide to sell that rig be sure to look me up.

To the OP. Probably get by with just pads for $100 :) or $25k at the dealer .

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut