decision time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

horns

Reaction score
I am new to the forum. I would appreciate thoughts on the following;
I am considering purchase of an '11 vs '12 LR 4.
there are a few concerns I have.
1) The doors are difficult to close and I have been educated on why. Does anybody have any family experience with kids having trouble getting these doors closed on their own? I am enough of a chauffeur already and don't want to be opening and closing doors for them chronically or double closing doors every time we go somewhere. Is this a non-issue after getting use to it?

2) As well, I know the '11's do not have voice activation (unless you get some software update that it sounds like dealers may be reluctant to do). Aside from that, are there differences in the navigation system? Is the 2012 updated / better graphics / quicker, etc...??

3) It appears that the spread between invoice and msrp is about 5K. is $2,500 off of msrp a reasonable offer (on 2012) ?

thanks.

72offsuit

Reaction score
I went with the 2012, wanted the upgrades to stereo (825 watts) and Nav improvements. iPod plugs in with standard iPod USB cable. My kids are 10-14 and go in and out easily. Probably makes no difference but in my mind I thought the drive to improve quality would be more evident in a 2012. $2000-$2500 off sticker is standard where I live on a 2012. Could get more off on 2011 obviously, to me if spread between two model years is couple thousand, I go with the newer since 2011 is already year old and will take an even bigger hit driving off lot.

MottMcfly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 11 HSE with around 7500 miles.

I don't think the doors are difficult to close, it's something that you get used to right away. I personally love the sturdy feel of them. I have two nieces, 8 and 11, they have no issues with them. If they're not closed all the way you'll see it on the display (including which one)

I'm planning on bringing it in for the software upgrade sooner or later to "turn on" the voice activation but I'm in no hurry. We have it in the Acura and barely use it. That being said, I do have the iPhone 4S and tend to use those voice options quite often.

I did see the graphics on the 2012 and I do think they look a lot more pleasing. I can't comment on it being quicker. There hasn't been any delay in changing screens, options that I can tell.

No matter which year, I'm certain you will be extremely happy.

Happy hunting and welcome to the forum!

Marty

Last edited:

horns

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. This site continues to be very helpful in making an educated decision. Sounds like the heavy doors are a non issue.
Unless some factory incentives show up on the 2011 (and I'm not holding my breath), it sounds like the 2012 will be the way to go.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. This site continues to be very helpful in making an educated decision. Sounds like the heavy doors are a non issue.
Unless some factory incentives show up on the 2011 (and I'm not holding my breath), it sounds like the 2012 will be the way to go.
I would go for the 2012.... Definitely!

STXRover

Reaction score
I picked up a 2012 a couple weeks ago and have 900 miles on it - awesome truck! Great off-road capability and have really enjoyed the upgraded 825 watt stereo system. Have not had a problems with any of the tech and it has great Bluetooth capability. I have been listening to my music on my iPhone without anything being plugged in. The voice activation controls work well and overall have been very impressed. I don't think you can go wrong either way. Best of luck!

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You get a feel for the doors, I find them very easy to close, and as long as you don't slam them, or touch the paint, it should be just fine. :D

ycharlie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the doors are triple sealed to prevent water intrusion when you wade in water.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You get a feel for the doors, I find them very easy to close, and as long as you don't slam them, or touch the paint, it should be just fine. :D
CMGRover,

Hehe! I HATE when people close the doors using the black plastic near the window - it shows all fingerprints and they are a pain in the a$$ to get out. That and door scuffing are my pet peeves. Though, right now my LR4 is so damn filthy!

-David

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM