discovery 4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

basilbris

Reaction score
I have ordered the new Discovery 4 . Has anyone had any major issues with their Disco 4.
One person I have spoken to had her car shut down twice and issues with rear electric windows.

Cheers
Basilbris

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no such thing as a Disco 4, are you talking about an LR4?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Disco Mike, unless I am mistaken the USA is the only place calling the Disco 4 and LR4... but I could be wrong.

Thread moved to the correct location.

tjp74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
US and Canada is only place we call Discovery 4 as LR4.

I have owned my LR4 about 2 weeks now. Three issues so far.

Bad tire or wheel caused some vibration at the steering wheel at 60mph or higher right after taking a delivery. Dealer needed 24 hours to figure it out. First they thought their wheel balancing machine was broken. It's probably an isolated incident but bad quality control at the factory.

Second issue, rear window one touch up and down wasn't working. I re-initialized it and working fine at the moment. Probably dealer forgot to initialize them before the delivery?

Third issue, audio system locked up while playing MP3 files from a memory stick. System was working fine otherwise being able to play CD and radio but not from the USB memory stick. I tried shutting down the system few times and after remove the momory stick, cycle the system and reinserting it fix the issue.

Other than that, no issue at all so far.

basilbris

Reaction score
Thanks for comments .
I have read in 4 WD magazines that the dealers don't check that the wheels are balanced prior to delivery. This is not limited to Land Rover but I suspect to other manufacturers. Hence either you should get your dealer to do this prior to delivery or do it yourself post delivery. This would probably cause the wheel shuderring!!!
On another note Land Rover is recommending oil changes (unless driven in arduos conditions) at 20, 000 km intervals. I spoke to a mechanic I know today and he told me you should change it at 10, 000 km intervals if you want your car to last and the transfer case oil should be replaced at 30, 000 km instead 80,000km.
He indicated that no oil whether synthetic or whatever will last 20,000km.
What are your thoughts?

Basil
Brisbane, Australia

tjp74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Speaking of oil change interval, yes 20000Km or 15000mi interval seems pretty extreme but this standard is getting adapted by other manufactures as well on their newest engines. I am pretty sure old mechanics with years of experience and so used to the good old 5000Km or 3000mi interval will have a hard time accepting this. The life span of synthethic oil is theoretically almost indefinite. But this long interval is for normal driving condition as stated in the manual. Even the Los Angeles stop and go traffic will not qualify as normal driving. So I will probably do mine at around 10K miles or so.

aesopian

Reaction score
I've had my LR4 a little over a month. Tires were upgraded, no balance issues. No complaints, but I've noticed a slight wind noise from around the 2nd moon roof when driving on the highway. Been through the car wash a couple of times and it doesn't leak, so not sure what causes the noise. Turn the radio up to 8 and you don't hear it.

I've followed the manual's instruction of keeping the speed at 68 MPH for the first 1K miles and avoid aggressive acceleration during the initial break in period.

Fantastic vehicle to drive on road and off road. I plan on adding a grill, winch, roof rack, sliders and under carriage protection. This will take a while, but I've wondered how it will effect the handling, noise and smooth ride.

I find the seats comfortable. A guy who owns an Infiniti SUV and an Audi was impressed with the seats and commented that he liked them better than his vehicles.

Mix of city/hwy - 15 MPG average

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA