DIY, brake pad replacement questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Franky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had my '11 LR4 at the dealer for a warranty repair. I had them check the brakes, and the pads were at 5mm. So I wanted to replace the front and rear. I have a few questions before I order the set. I will be leaving on a 900 mile trip to our home in Nova Scotia, Canada and wanted the parts on hand so I can replace them while I'm there. Here are my questions.

1) Has anyone posted a DIY of the job, or know where I can find one if not posted here?

2) Are there any special tools required?

3) Where is the best place for pads front and rear?

BPUTAH.com has them for $135 front and $127 rear. I've purchased with them before, I think the price is on the mark.

4) Do I need to replace wear sensors?

Thank you in advance for any questions you can answer.

Franky

CaptainSpalding

Explorer
Reaction score
I haven't done the job myself, but my understanding is that if the wear sensors have not been tripped that you don't have to replace them.

Franky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't done the job myself, but my understanding is that if the wear sensors have not been tripped that you don't have to replace them.

Thank you for the response Captain! I'm going to order the pads tomorrow. Worse case, I'll have to go to the dealer for the sensor's if needed.

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree about the sensors. You're doing just pads, right?

Franky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, just the pads. I decided to just the let the dealer do them. I'm bringing in the truck to have new tires installed next Wed., so figured I would have everything done at once. While any of my vechicles is under warranty, I have a hard time justifing doing my own work. Just in case if a problem arises, I don't want to give them any reason to blame me, and reject a warranty issue. I have heard and seen it happen before.

Not to mention, I feel that I'm losing my interest in working on cars. Hard to swallow spending $750 (quote: labor and parts) having front and rear pads replaced, knowing I can do it myself (time isn't an issue) in a couple hours by myself. But, I bought the LR4 knowing there would be times like this, and it would not be cheap. Them again, what is these days!

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, just the pads. I decided to just the let the dealer do them. I'm bringing in the truck to have new tires installed next Wed., so figured I would have everything done at once. While any of my vechicles is under warranty, I have a hard time justifing doing my own work. Just in case if a problem arises, I don't want to give them any reason to blame me, and reject a warranty issue. I have heard and seen it happen before.

Not to mention, I feel that I'm losing my interest in working on cars. Hard to swallow spending $750 (quote: labor and parts) having front and rear pads replaced, knowing I can do it myself (time isn't an issue) in a couple hours by myself. But, I bought the LR4 knowing there would be times like this, and it would not be cheap. Them again, what is these days!
Which new tires???

Franky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, after the great response from a forum member (YOU), I went with the Cooper Zeon LTZ's. I went through countless reviews, read yours about 3 times, looked at your pictures about 10 times, decided to hold off, went outside and measured the tread dept. of my Conti's, and they were at 4/32, plus there just happened to be a screw in the tire I measured.

I also looked at the price of replacing them when I was at our place in Canada, and because of the import taxes, they were about $100 more per tire. I knew after my trip there I would need them so decided to get them now.

Dealer is charging me $259 a tire, but that includes mounting, balancing, and a 4 wheel alignment. Not that I think it needs it, but it's included. I thought it was a fair price. I also trust them more than Land Rover of Halifax.

Thank you David for your reviews and update on your tires! I know it has helped me, and I'm sure it will help others.

Franky

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, after the great response from a forum member (YOU), I went with the Cooper Zeon LTZ's. I went through countless reviews, read yours about 3 times, looked at your pictures about 10 times, decided to hold off, went outside and measured the tread dept. of my Conti's, and they were at 4/32, plus there just happened to be a screw in the tire I measured.

I also looked at the price of replacing them when I was at our place in Canada, and because of the import taxes, they were about $100 more per tire. I knew after my trip there I would need them so decided to get them now.

Dealer is charging me $259 a tire, but that includes mounting, balancing, and a 4 wheel alignment. Not that I think it needs it, but it's included. I thought it was a fair price. I also trust them more than Land Rover of Halifax.

Thank you David for your reviews and update on your tires! I know it has helped me, and I'm sure it will help others.

Franky
Awesome! That actually sounds like a very fair price. You will definitely love the tires - please be sure to post pictures post-installation. Best of luck!

-David

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
9ineballer