DIY Oil Changes Impossible & 2nd Battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

p-dawger

Reaction score
It seems like you can change the oild yourself but what is everyone doing about the oil reset light? How are you getting around that?

marcoVU

Reaction score
It seems like you can change the oild yourself but what is everyone doing about the oil reset light? How are you getting around that?

Well, I haven't figured that part out myself. I have been riding around with the damn service engine light on. Coming up on 50k miles, so I will be bringing it in shortly for a checkup before the warranty goes up and I am sure I will be charged some ridiculous amount for them to hit a button.

Anyone figure out if a reset tool can clear the service engine code?

DonMitsu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI I have a repair shop and do my own oil changes in our shop. It does have a drain plug on the oil pan and can be done without the oil suction machine.

socalrovershop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes the engine does have a drain plug but all the oil will not drain out. the filter is under the engine cover in a canister form. the light has to be reset with factors sdd computer .

guss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oil change

I just changed oil in my LR4.Had 5,000 miles on it.Did it myself,Jacked up LR4 and took off Skid plates and removed DRAIN plug.Then Drained oil,replaced DRAIN plug and Skid plates.Lowered LR4 and then went under hood and removed OIL FILTER CANISTER.Took out Filter element and replaced w. new one.Then added 8 Quarts of SLX Proffessional castrol oil.30 minutes total time.Got filter for Jaguar,same motor,only 25 Dollars insteadd of 45 Dollars from Rover.Simple as ABC Every 7,500 miles from now on.

tjp74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to do my first oil change on my LR4. What is the size of oil filter cap? Is there a good place to buy the removal tool?

Also, I can't seem to find a retailer selling SLX professional 5w 20 oil. Where are you guys getting them? From dealer? LR part number?

guss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From dealer only.9.95 a quart.Filter is hard to get to.you go from top of engine,left side.its a plastic canister,no spin on.they went stone age with that.hard to replace and only by hand.took forever and the element is big money at 42.00 Dollars.Dont screw it on cross threaded or you will need a new canister .*****

MottMcfly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see there is some difference in opinion as to whether you wait until 15K or change the oil sooner.

Is there any way to physically inspect the oil (dipstick) at 5K miles to see if it's still OK?

Thanks,

Marty

overblown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MottMcfly, there is no dipstick on our trucks.

Guss, can you verify that all the oil came out using your drain plug method?

DonMitsu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MottMcfly, there is no dipstick on our trucks.

Guss, can you verify that all the oil came out using your drain plug method?

The drain plug is at the bottom of the oil pan, it's probably better at removing all oil than suction. The issue is the position of the drain plug causes a mess when you change the oil and the suction machine does not

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV