DIY Oil Changes Impossible & 2nd Battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question for those that own the new LR4: I have heard a fearsome rumor that on the LR4 the new motor has to have the oil change done at the dealer. Apparantly dealers have to invest in a $4K oil change suction machine to do the job. I think it is also rumored tha the LR4 has no user replaceable oil filter. Can you confirm?

Second question is related to the 2nd battery option that can be done with the LR3. Can a 2nd battery still fit in the driver side box that was empty on the LR3? Does it still have that box?

Thanks,
A Concerned LR3 Owner

Rover7777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It does not appear there is room for a second battery.

As far as the oil change goes, that was mentioned by someone on here a while back. First oil change is not due for 15k or one year, whichever comes first. I will take a look underneath to see if there is a drain plug and filter visible.

John

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is an interesting turn of events on the oil change, if true. I can see LR rationalizing it as only a once a year event, but for do-it-yourselvers, service at non-LR dealers, AND the fact that LRNA got rid of the free maintenance....that sucks!

Probably isn't true. I hope not. Maybe the expensive ****** ($4K suction machine) is just for getting oil out of all the nooks and crannies.

Rover7777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The first maintenance is free, big deal right. I will look under today to see whats there. I'm not really even that comfortable not changing the oil for that long a period of time, so I HOPE they know what they are doing. I most likely won't wait that long.

john

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no oil drain plug anymore. :mad: Even the good old dipstick is gone, oil level is checked electronically and displayed on the TFT display... One more sensor to worry about.

Rover7777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took a look under the lr4. Most of the area is shielded off, so i really couldnt see anything. I'm not a mechanic either, but have changed the oil on plenty a vehicle.

The oil is checked on the display. Could not see or find the filter from underneath or by looking under the hood.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no oil drain plug anymore. :mad: Even the good old dipstick is gone, oil level is checked electronically and displayed on the TFT display... One more sensor to worry about.
Wow. :eek:
I can't decide if that is progress over over-complication.

I wonder if there was some technical gain in the engine design by not including a drain plug. If so, than I can see the argument that if 15K fluids are used, it is less of a concern. Otherwise, well, it seems kind of ludicrous to not put a drain point on the low point of the engine?!?

skw

Reaction score
I wonder to what extent BMW still has an influance or participation in Land Rover engineering. Their newer engines also have no dipstick, the on screen menu graphics in the LR4 looks just like the new 7 series, as well as LR still uses the HK Logic 7 sound. Could be just me making comparisons though. I could understand, but not agree w/ the extended drain intervals when free maintenance was included. I'm just wary of an engine fresh out of warranty down the line having only had 2 oil changes. I'm a believer in Amsoil products & constant oil analysis but even w/o a drain plug are you supposed to just trust that all's fine? We're hoping come the next 2-3 months there's some sales incentives offered. The LR4 is a beautiful truck, we're just waiting for the right time.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It does not appear there is room for a second battery.

John

WHAT?! Are you sure??

I thought I checked that but maybe I just saw the cover and assumed they wouldn't do something so dumb as to use up the obvious 2nd battery space.

98Disco

Reaction score
Well its true that there is no drain plug, if you remove the oil fill cap you will see the a steel pipe..this pipe runs to the bottom of the engine and is the attachment point for a suction type oil change , and the oil filter is a cartridge style that you access from the top of the engine....So long story short it will take a speacil tool to change your oil but it is nowhere near 4k. I just found this and it will do the trick
Amazon.com: Motive Products Power Extractor Allows Easy Evacuation of Engine Oil, Transmission Fluid, Brake Fluid and other Fluids: Automotive hope that clears things up some

Cheers

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72