DIY Oil Changes Impossible & 2nd Battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

socalrovershop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
to check your oil level go into your ipak menu and when you get to the service section it has a display of your oil level. hood has to be open and car off. press the cancel button twice on the cruise control to give you a live data reading instead of waiting for the 30 minutes it has you wait untile it gives you a reading

jios

Reaction score
the 2010 2011 got a drain plug just remove the metal shield under the engine and then you see the big plug!!!! anyone experencied oil leak???? my 2011 got a little crack and is leaking and is a manufacturing fault !!!!!!!!

rostov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just changed oil in my LR4.Had 5,000 miles on it.Did it myself,Jacked up LR4 and took off Skid plates and removed DRAIN plug.Then Drained oil,replaced DRAIN plug and Skid plates.Lowered LR4 and then went under hood and removed OIL FILTER CANISTER.Took out Filter element and replaced w. new one.Then added 8 Quarts of SLX Proffessional castrol oil.30 minutes total time.Got filter for Jaguar,same motor,only 25 Dollars insteadd of 45 Dollars from Rover.Simple as ABC Every 7,500 miles from now on.
Cool! ... And why did you change it at 5K?

rostov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see there is some difference in opinion as to whether you wait until 15K or change the oil sooner.

Is there any way to physically inspect the oil (dipstick) at 5K miles to see if it's still OK?

Thanks,

Marty

Sorry guys, too new to LRs... Do we have synthetic oil? If yes, I don't think there is a need to inspect it at 5K :)

tjp74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, it's extended interval type fully synthetic hence 15K miles change interval. You can check your oil level via info screen anytime you want. But I don't bother checking the color. It will last between interval.

By the way, for those of you thinking about doing it your self, please get one of these oil suction pump (less then $100 on Amazon.com) as recommended in earlier posts.

No need to get under the car, remove under shield and drain bolt. On my second oil change, it took about 10 minutes to replace oil and filter and I didn't get a single drop of oil on my hand or the garage floor and I am not joking. Because LR4 has oil suction tube built in as previously mentioned and the top filter location, oil and filter change can't be simpler then this. I am actually looking forward to the next oil change... looking to break 10min time.

rostov

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By the way, for those of you thinking about doing it your self, please get one of these oil suction pump (less then $100 on Amazon.com) as recommended in earlier posts.

No need to get under the car, remove under shield and drain bolt. On my second oil change, it took about 10 minutes to replace oil and filter and I didn't get a single drop of oil on my hand or the garage floor and I am not joking. Because LR4 has oil suction tube built in as previously mentioned and the top filter location, oil and filter change can't be simpler then this. I am actually looking forward to the next oil change... looking to break 10min time.
tjp74, what is oil suction tube built in?
Never trusted this method much, but as I heard, lately even some shops using it (sounds ridicules to me, but I guess I am just old... :) ).

I just don’t think you will get all the oil out like this… ??

LR4inAZ

Reaction score
Anyone with experience changing the Oil - could you please post You Tube Video so the rest of us can benefit from your experience... I am interested in the drain plug method...

Thanks in advance - Chris

94speedster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bump.

Read through this thread, and I have put together the following list of items to buy for a DIY oil change on LR4:

1) 8.5 quarts of Castrol SLX 5w-20. This is the formulation for the Jaguar 5.0L engine. I will shop local Jaguar and LR dealers for best price, and expect to pay $8-10/qt.
2) Jaguar Oil Filter, Part #W0133-1891127. Web search shows the Jag filter sells for $25-30, and the LR filter sells for $40. Same filter!
3) Oil Filter Wrench - Assenmacher JA 9015 ASSJA-9015 Oil Filter Wrench 90mm, 15 Flats. Online cost is $12-15. I may be able to buy it from the Jag or LR dealer.
4) Mity Vac 7201 - $91 at Amazon, free shipping and no tax. NOTE: The 7201 has a hand pump, whereas the 7400 has a pneumatic pump (needs external compressor). I think 99% of us would want the hand pump!

I plan to post a DIY with pics. Need to get all the supplies first!

-Blake

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72