Do bushings save control arms?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personal opinions, damn they are proud of them bushings. I would rather have graphite impregnated poly bushings if they are an option. On another note are there different manufactures with different hardness numbers to chose from? A trade off, softer with a quiet ride vs slightly louder with harshness also more precise steering input and handling.
I'm not into these "modern" LR's and had options with Poly suspension bushings for the 95 D1.
Coming from England, i'd keep looking for other poly bushings from other countries if possible.
.....~~=o&o>.....

There are at least 2 hardness choices available.

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are at least 2 hardness choices available.

Did they post the hardness differences in shores or hardness? Not for LR's i've made bushings out of aluminum, nylon as well Duralon which has been the best material having "self lubricating abilities" like the wifey but has added Teflon added into it. Different hardness on up to 28,000 psi last recall. As with Poly bushings the Blue ones I have machined out of stock required press on fit arbors as well new razor sharp carbide lathe bits to machine.
Odd balled not available bushings a "watch me" i'll make my own.
Supply vs demand they the above kits sure are expensive I bet a 8 times profit made considering parts made on a production machine once set up. Harder the better unless your LR's a shopping mall adventure vehicle.

Best of luck with your adventures. Get a GOOD 4 corner alignment unless you have your own alignment tools (purchased plus copied) as it's rather easy and not rocket science.

With this i'm gone, last reply on LR3 & LR4 forums after being called a "TROLL". .....~~=o&o>......

TrinidadLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The control arms are steel. They will last the life of the vehicle by themselves.

But within the control arm are the ball joints and bushings. Most people replace the whole thing because it's a hell of a lot easier than trying to press out one or the other of those, for not much more money.

I don't know about that. When I replaced my front LCAs, initially I was just going to replace the bushings and leave the ball joints alone. But, the control arm housing around the ball joint was severely rusted, prompting some concerns as to its long term viability and structural integrity. This was on both front LCAs. The design seemed pretty poor and flimsy, especially for such a vital part. Since the ball joints themselves were sloppy, I ended up replacing the entire arms. I expected the curved housing that the ball joint was pressed into to be beefier, especially for the weight of the vehicle. I don't know if there are any documented failures of this, however.

Last edited:

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see. Well it seems crazy to replace control arms at 42k because of some rattle/wobble.

I can remember all the shops I talked to about the control arm replacement job (which was at 198k on my LR3) saying how everything gets fused together and getting them off is where the labor comes in ... that often grinding/cutting is needed, etc ... does doing the job early before things get worse make it more practical as a DIY job?

I did mine @115k with no issue. Southern owned truck though so no rust to speak of...

atlanticbritish

Full Access Member
Reaction score

R Hermann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...Over the last few months, I've started hearing the rattle/wobble noises when going over uneven terrain that I've come to associate with worn out bushings and/or control arms.

Do whatever work needs to be done now. Wear like that only gets more expensive. DIY Oil changes seldom include lubricating the suspension bits and pieces. Add that to your list of regular maintenance so that when the day comes to remove those bits and pieces they come off clean and easy rather than with a torch.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV