DVD Playback Possible on Front Nav Screen?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmag24

Reaction score
Anyone have an idea if there's a programming code that allows DVD playback on the front Navi screen when the car is in drive?

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Similar question. Can you play the audio from the RMR on the stereo (without headphones)? My kids are young enough that we use video every once in a while (mostly netflix on my iPhone), but I don't want them using the headphones as I like to talk to them.

gmag24

Reaction score
Humberto,

Is the TV hack something you buy or simply a code of sorts I have to find online? I did a quick search on google and got varying results.

Also, do people advise against the TV hack? I'm curious if it has any adverse effects....thanks,

Izzyandsue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may need to recode the car to a different country setting, or rest of world to enable video playback on the Nav screen. I have done that with VW/Audi and is easy as long as you have the connector and software from a laptop (for example). It can make a long trip feel short.

But I can understand why in the US they disabled it, as most drivers I encounter on the highway barely have an understanding of what they are doing or where they are. A TV on top of that could require inflatable Armco barriers on all highways to allow us to bounce back to the blacktop.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AFAIK, video playback on the front monitor while the car is in motion is disabled around the world, except in those countries - the US is not one of them - that allow Land Rover's dual view technology (a touchscreen that can display two different outputs for driver and front passenger. Don't know if that system is even available abroad for the Disco/LR4.) Video will play on the front touchscreen while parked over here as well as abroad, it's only when you start driving that the screen goes blank and most DVD controls become unavailable.

The Nav-TV hack involves a module that "fools" the infotainment system into thinking the car is still stationary even when you are traveling, allowing video playback to continue displaying on the front monitor. It's only compatible with certain setups - for example, if you have the factory surround cameras system (Vision Assist pack), their module won't work currently. Contact Nav-TV for more info if you wish to pursue their option and they'll tell you if your model is compatible.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Similar question. Can you play the audio from the RMR on the stereo (without headphones)? My kids are young enough that we use video every once in a while (mostly netflix on my iPhone), but I don't want them using the headphones as I like to talk to them.

NASdiesel, I assume RMR means the factory Rear Seat Entertainment system? If so, yes of course, you can play audio on the car' sound system instead of the headphones. In fact, that's my favorite feature of the RSE. When you playback movies / music DVDs or audio CDs encoded in multi-channel DD or DTS 5.1, the Logic 7 sound system comes alive and sounds phenomenally good. I play a lot of music that way when my kids are not in the car and want to watch one of their freakin' Disney movies instead.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
NASdiesel, I assume RMR means the factory Rear Seat Entertainment system? If so, yes of course, you can play audio on the car' sound system instead of the headphones. In fact, that's my favorite feature of the RSE. When you playback movies / music DVDs or audio CDs encoded in multi-channel DD or DTS 5.1, the Logic 7 sound system comes alive and sounds phenomenally good. I play a lot of music that way when my kids are not in the car and want to watch one of their freakin' Disney movies instead.

Exactly, thanks. How do you toggle from the rear entertainment? I'm using the rear aux in for video and sound (iPhone).

JohnR

Reaction score
Anyone have an idea if there's a programming code that allows DVD playback on the front Navi screen when the car is in drive?

Yes, it can be done. I've done it with my 2010 LR4.
I think you have to put the display in diagnostic mode and then
you can pick which monitor to watch.

Can't remember which forum I found the instructions for this on,
but I'm sure it's out there.

JR

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9