early built 05 - should I be worried?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S

shod

jptruck said:
I haven't recieved any information in the mail on the A-pillar recall. As luck would have it, I was on the way to the dealership for 7500 mile service when I felt a drip on my leg (it was pouring out). They said it's a defect in all 05 models, but didn't use the phrase recall.

well, got a call from my wife this AM - the LR3 has water in the dome lights and leaking down the ceiling pannel at the windshield ... been raining here all night

called manahattan service department 3 hours ago - no call back yet.

M

Michael99b

A few things to respond to in this wandering thread. First, I have an '05 V8 which I picked up in December '04. Now has 22,000 miles on it. I had the water leak...big time. Search for "water leak" on here and you'll see that thread and the details/solution of my problem, but basically it was a combo of clamps pinching off drain tubes, and cracked drain tubes in the sunroof tray. The water backed up to the sunroof tray then leaked down to the floor, but wasn't noticeable until the carpets started getting soaked. The trenches that run along the floor from front to back of the truck are where they hide a huge bundle of wires. These wires were basically underwater for months until the water problem was evident. Intermittent electrical problems such as radio going dead and the keyless entry not working, have never resurfaced since the wire trenches were dried out and the leak fixed. The leak has not recurred. Mileage for me is good at about 14 for mixed highway/city and I drive the truck hard. Straight highway I get 18+ easy. I did fall into the gas tank recall, which I can't get done until they find more tanks. Dealer tells me they won't have any until late February at the earliest. Passenger auto window and memory seats would be nice. A lock on one of the three glove compartments would be smart. The turn signal lever needs to be better ergonomically designed so I don't flash on the high beams when I go to flick it with a finger. The sunroof could open wider. The sunroof should autoclose the entire way. They should have a sunglass holder somewhere. The center console is real deep and small things get lost in that cavern, so they should make an upper removable tray to hold change and such. The horn seems to get in my way and get honked when backing up and turning the wheel with one hand. More problems with this vehicle then my Landcruiser or X5, but it handles alot better in the snow (not often for me), trailers a boat very well (nice to have the air suspension level off the truck once the boat weight is added), and rides better IMO on the highway. I suspect that 2007 buyers will get the benefit of these issues being worked out.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Michael99b said:
I suspect that 2007 buyers will get the benefit of these issues being worked out.
You are mixing up "issues" and "design decisions" -- don't expect many changes on "design decisions" until a total refresh... and that won't be 2007.

S

shod

I actually moved to posting on the LR3 problems thread.... read there about my check engine repair that lead to a bunch of gas to spill onto my drivway... my X5 was bad. This is on its way to being much worse

M

mwillems

grommet said:
It's not a "recall"... which is generally a safety issue. My 2005 doesn't have an A-Piller leak, and it hasn't been "fixed." But it is a problem that has been seen and documented on the LR3. If I experience it, I'll take it in for service.

Mmm. I saw that too. Sounds OK, but what if it only starts leaking right after the warranty runs out?

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then you're screwed and need to pay for parts and labor. :) It has to break before the warranty runs out. So far I'm like you... about a year, and no leak. Three more years to go. I figure 1 day the warranty ends, my LR3 will explode. :p

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"I figure 1 day the warranty ends, my LR3 will explode"

It wasn't 1 day, but within a couple months after warranty exp on my 4.0 I had to redo valves and heater core O ring. $4 g. They time it that way. :(
O yeah, then 5m miles later, torque convertor went. $2500 :(
and while we're at it, 7m after that....water pump. $800 :(
Privilege of owning an out of warranty Rover - NOT PRICELESS!!!

S

sgllr3

roverman said:
"I figure 1 day the warranty ends, my LR3 will explode"

To which I add the question, is the extended warranty worth it? The rep tried to sell it to me when I bought mine, but I didn't. If I remember correctly, the price of the extended warranty increases the older/more miles the car gets, even before the new car warranty runs out.

Advice?

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much is it and how many miles is it good for? And what vehicle?

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Land Rover" doesn't offer their own extended warranty. They are all 3rd party... offered by individual dealers & providers. As with all "extended warranty" purchases, make sure you know what you are paying for: all deductables and exclusions need to be understood. Prices will vary related to the coverage. Only you can figure out if it's worth it to YOU.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72