ENGINE SHOT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gtryan1

Reaction score
My 2016 LR4 with 54k on it was making a ticking noise. I brought it to the dealership, and they stated it was the high pressure fuel pumps. I was skeptical, but it was under warranty, so they moved forward with the repair. When I got the vehicle back, the ticking noise was still there, so it went back in, and I told them to check the timing chain. They replaced the timing chains, and I drove the vehicle for 400 miles until the other day when an engine bearing went. Now, they are saying it needs a new engine. Thoughts?

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Failed timing chain replacement? For it to fail 400 miles after a large job like that, leads me to believe it wasn't done properly or something else was also wrong.

How much longer are you under warranty for?

Bushwa

Reaction score
Mines got 320,000 km and it’s ticked since I got it 80,000 km ago. I was led to believe the injectors are generally noisy at idle and it was normal. Agree it’s a bit odd the engine would go so soon after a timing chain job tho. Who and how was the bearing failure diagnosed?

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was the ticking noise gone after the timing chain replacement? Or was it still ticking.

By bearing failure, I assume you mean a rod bearing, right?

LR4Slavo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like whatever the issue was, it is or should be covered under warrant even if that means engine replacement. Too much of a coincidence that the motor needs to be replaced 400 miles after a timing chain job with only 54k miles on the clock.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
If they replace your engine under warranty, you're in luck!!

Lakeray

Reaction score
Pray tell what kind of warranty do you have that's still in effect? I bought a 2016 with a CPO warranty and it expired last fall, one of the last ones according to the dealer.

christine1125

Reaction score
My 2016 LR4 has blown head gaskets and we were told it's best to put in new engine. Has 90k miles. Does anyone know what is the best site to sell as is?

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bad chains at 54K miles? That's really bad luck. Out of curiosity, what were the oil change intervals ?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72