Everything about tires for LR4/ LR3 with 18" wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run 265/65R18 BFG A/T KOs with no rubbing issues at all at standard height.

no-pistons

Reaction score
Good to hear. Been trying to decide between 265/65r18 or a slightly smaller diameter 275/60r18.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run a 285/60 R18 (I need all the footprint I can get for sand driving) and have just slight rubbing when reversing at full lock. Outside of sand driving, I would want as much sidewall height as possible for off-road use. So, in your case I think the 265/65 is the better choice.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm currently running the DuraTrac 265/65R18 and I've been wondering what pressure I should set them at.
The dealer set the pressure at 44psi front and back (they can go up to 51psi).
I called Discount Tire Direct and they said to try the car manufacturer recommended pressure and to not go lower than 29 front and 33 rear. I assume they mean on road...
Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

Axel

Last edited:

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I completely guessed with my own (Nitto Dune Grappler) and go 40 / 40 for on-road use. I'd love to know what is correct.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the recommended PSI on the door is different front and back (on my 2014). Why wouldn't you do something similar with your off road tires? (Not challenging. Just curious as I have never had try off road tires - not sure my 265/60/18s qualify.)

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I called Discout Tire Direct and they said to try the car manufacturer recommended pressure and to not go lower than 29 front and 33 rear.

That's real low for on-road driving IMHO, I don't care what tires you are driving on. Chances are you will experience a floaty ride with vague steering response, that will easily get unsettled in high speed turns. I barely approach those numbers off road, and that's for the gnarlier trails, let alone on pavement. Plus, you'd have to put up with the annoying TPMS warnings if you go that low.

I agree with the first part of their suggestion, though. I've always had luck with the LR recommended pressure front and rear (36/42 PSI for the LR4), and if it's good enough for a variety of OEM sizes and diameters, surely the ideal setting for a moderately oversized tire, whether A/T or not, can't be that far off that sweet spot.

Last edited:

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the recommended PSI on the door is different front and back (on my 2014). Why wouldn't you do something similar with your off road tires? (Not challenging. Just curious as I have never had try off road tires - not sure my 265/60/18s qualify.)

I've been considering using the manufacturer recommended pressure since the max inflation is 51psi anyway (like the original 19s 255/55). Just figured that I already lost 3.5/4mpg as is with the DuraTracs so do I wanna go lower than 44psi on road and get even lower gas mileage?...
On the Hankooks (with a max inflation of 44psi) I had 40psi all around (reputable tire place recommendation based on their experience with Land Rovers) and would go up to 42 for long asphalt trips.
I guess I'll play a little with it since I just got a small compressor (265/65R18 fits underneath but it has to be fully deflated!).

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's real low for on-road driving IMHO, I don't care what tires you are driving on. Chances are you will experience a floaty ride with vague sterring response, that will easily get unsettled in high speed turns. I barely approach those numbers off road, and that's for the gnarlier trails, let alone on pavement. Plus, you'd have to put up with the annoying TPMS warnings if you go that low.

I agree with the first part of their suggestion, though. I've always had luck with the LR recommended pressure front and rear (36/42 PSI for the LR4), and if it's good enough for a variety of OEM sizes and diameters, surely the ideal setting for a moderately oversized tire, whether A/T or not, can't be that far off that sweet spot.

Thanks Umberto. I will be giving a shot at the 36/42 (I used 38/44 for a slight increase in mpg with the Contis). I haven't had a chance to deflate the tires yet when off-roading as I just got my compressor but I can't wait coz there's lots of sand around here and it can get pretty deep.

As far as TPMS, I got rid of those - drove for almost 20 years without them just fine ;) I also turned off the feature thanks to the IIDTool.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nitto launched the new Terra Grappler G2 today, claimed to be much improved in durability over the older TG (which a lot of LR3/4 owners were running in 285/60/18 size.) The TG G2 should be available starting today in both 285/60R18 (XL) and LT285/60R18, suitable for the LR4 and with an excellent "S" speed rating. The LT actually comes with a 50K mile treadwear warranty, fairly unusual for LT tires to come with a treadwear warranty at all, let alone one good for 50,000 miles.

http://www.nittotire.com/light-truck-tires/terra-grappler-g2-all-terrain-light-truck-tire/

Just adding this for future reference.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635