Everything about tires for LR4/ LR3 with 18" wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LR4TQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I just put on the Toyo Open Country AT2 and took it for a trip up PCH on all highway. While I haven't tested the tires in offroad situations, I am not happy with the amount of noise it makes. At highway speeds, it hums more than it should and once you notice it, it will forever haunt your ear. :(

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's real low for on-road driving IMHO, I don't care what tires you are driving on. Chances are you will experience a floaty ride with vague steering response, that will easily get unsettled in high speed turns. I barely approach those numbers off road, and that's for the gnarlier trails, let alone on pavement. Plus, you'd have to put up with the annoying TPMS warnings if you go that low.

I agree with the first part of their suggestion, though. I've always had luck with the LR recommended pressure front and rear (36/42 PSI for the LR4), and if it's good enough for a variety of OEM sizes and diameters, surely the ideal setting for a moderately oversized tire, whether A/T or not, can't be that far off that sweet spot.

Actually, the door factory psi numbers are not even close to the "ideal" pressure for larger tires, especially for any of you with heavier vehicles. In fact it becomes dangerous. No, not dangerous for all the time nothing is happening and your attention is 100%, but it is for when things "happen" and you need to do a critical avoidance maneuver.

Will a Land Rover flip over? Less likely than some vehicles but not impossible. The design is quite good for resisting roll over, even with my older Disco 1 compared to vehicles in same era. However, the lower the tire pressure, the closer the possibility.
Personally, I like those sorts of things to be as remote a possibility as possible.

The other benefits of proper inflation are realized in fuel economy and enjoyment of handling precision.

It used to be that if we put HD springs on a vehicle, the tires became the only way to not have such a harsh ride. With the air suspension now there's no excuse for low pressure any more.

The tires also last much longer with the "ideal" inflation. Too low will wear tires badly. This number will not be the same for my vehicle, yours, or the next person unless they all weigh the same and have the same size and tire type.

I only run E load range tires rated for 80psi. My LR is generally between 7000 - 8000 lbs so anything in the 40-44 range would be way too low for highway use. My pressure is set at 50-55 generally which works well.

Basically, correct PSI is determined by the weight on the axle. The door number assumes not only a very specific tire size and type but also a very specific weight range.

Tire shops will usually refer you to the door, regardless of any obvious reasons not to use those numbers, simply because of liability and/or ignorance.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I just put on the Toyo Open Country AT2 and took it for a trip up PCH on all highway. While I haven't tested the tires in offroad situations, I am not happy with the amount of noise it makes. At highway speeds, it hums more than it should and once you notice it, it will forever haunt your ear. :(

I think most all AT tire designs are going to make some noise that someone will notice if you are very used to the sound of a stock vehicle. The LR3/4 is so quiet otherwise that it's easier to notice such changes in the sounds.

However, if you had a rack on the roof, or a snorkel, you would not notice quite as obviously a change in tires.

I am sure some AT tires have sounds specific to them but I would not assume that you switching to another one would make much difference unless there are some actual sound tests out there.

Maybe that's something Tire Rack ought to do. They do all these other tire tests but I don't care what some driver "thinks" they feel or hear, I want meters and things in and outside the car to provide real numbers ;)

LR4TQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the Maxxis Bravo AT tires before the Toyo and the Maxxis are VERY quiet. Oh well.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking them up I am not surprised the Maxxis were quieter with how the tread is a tighter design and a little more highway oriented. Much more than something like the Nitto Terra Grappler, the BFG AT KO, Goodyear Duratrac, or the Toyo you got. All of which are all more open tread design and therefor inherently louder.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with jwest.
Land Rover initially set the pressure at 44psi after installing the new tires on the Compos (max on DuraTrac in 265/65R18 is 50psi) and it felt great for freeway driving. Very stable and not really noisy at all.
I went off-roading and set the pressure at 38/43 hot which turned out to be 36.5/41.5 cold. Fantastic pressure for off-roading, lots of flex, etc.
After a few days of driving around town like that, the tire pressure seemed appropriate... However once I hit the freeway, I could feel the tire deform under acceleration or lane change. Fortunately I didn't get into any situation where it would have required to change path abruptly as I doubt that it would have gone really well.
I'm back at 44psi all around for city and freeway driving. It makes the tires feel much safer and will help make them "last". I probably could lower the front just a couple psi but this will require some testing around.
In any case, 36/42 is really inappropriate with the DuraTrac in 265/65R18 if you want to safely drive on road.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... Anyways, as my Yokos are starting to be worn after 50K+ valiant miles and I got a few nicks and small tears in a couple of my sidewalls recently that don't look too promising, I am thinking of moving up to a slightly more built AT tire, and those new Nitto Terra Grappler G2s look awfully tempting. My local tire shop can order and get them as early as next week... Don't know the price yet, right now I'm torn whether I should go for a P-metric 285/60R18 (Extra Load, 120S) or the much heavier, 10-ply equivalent LT285/60R18 (123S.) I like the bulge of the 286/60s over my 18" Compos and at 31.46" dia I know I can squeeze the spare partially deflated under the car and will experience almost no rubbing without any mods (I used to run Cooper Zeon LTZs of the same size on my old RRS.)

Will have to think this one over a bit, I off-road this vehicle quite regularly and some of our rocky local desert and mountain trails are pretty challenging and can be tire killers, but the LR4 is also my DD, occasional family hauler and office on wheels. Of the 30K miles per year I drive it at least 95% of them are on bone-dry SoCal pavement. Rain on occasion (very rarely these days), snow maybe once a year, so I am not looking for mud or ice and snow champs. I enjoy a quiet ride. I am also too old and lazy to have two sets of dedicated tires in my garage and swap them around every other weekend or whenever I decide to go wheeling with my club or friends. What would you guys do?

Last edited:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... Anyways, as my Yokos are starting to be worn after 50K+ valiant miles and I got a few nicks and small tears in a couple of my sidewalls recently that don't look too promising, I am thinking of moving up to a slightly more built AT tire, and those new Nitto Terra Grappler G2s look awfully tempting. My local tire shop can order and get them as early as next week... Don't know the price yet, right now I'm torn whether I should go for a P-metric 285/60R18 (Extra Load, 120S) or the much heavier, 10-ply equivalent LT285/60R18 (123S.) I like the bulge of the 286/60s over my 18" Compos and at 31.46" dia I know I can squeeze the spare partially deflated under the car and will experience almost no rubbing without any mods (I used to run Cooper Zeon LTZs of the same size on my old RRS.)

Will have to think this one over a bit, I off-road this vehicle quite regularly and some of our rocky local desert and mountain trails are pretty challenging and can be tire killers, but the LR4 is also my DD, occasional family hauler and office on wheels. Of the 30K miles per year I drive it at least 95% of them are on bone-dry SoCal pavement. Rain on occasion (very rarely these days), snow maybe once a year, so I am not looking for mud or ice and snow champs. I enjoy a quiet ride. I am also too old and lazy to have two sets of dedicated tires in my garage and swap them around every other weekend or whenever I decide to go wheeling with my club or friends. What would you guys do?
Hi Umberto,

I heard good things about the Nittos and I think they are pretty tame on the paved roads. You do a LOT of driving, so I think you would want something very on-road comfortable. I also hear great things about the Toyo Open Country AT 2s. As you know, I have the BFG A/T KOs and I really like them, great on our CA terrain and good on the road. Then again, my LR4 is not really my daily driver. I am not sure of the on-road difference between the load ratings you are discussing in your post, but would the 10-ply be a bit less road savvy? I have an E-rated tire, which I like because of all the weight on my truck.

Either way, I am curious as to what you pick. Good luck!

-David

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone here has put on 275/65r18 MTR on a LT4 with Johnson rods?
Yes, I think brandonbushway - he has the Toyo Open Country MTs and had to do the Johnson lift and pretty major modifying to prevent rubbing. I know recently he has had some problems with vibrations and finding a place that can properly balance an MT tire. Maybe he can chime in.......

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635