Everything about tires for LR4/ LR3 with 18" wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad you like them and congrats!

Did you try checking tire pressures with the vehicle off and ignition on? Just press the start button once with your foot off of the brake. Scroll to service menu and select pressure check

*QUESTION!

I had them install new TPMS sensors (315/433 EZ Schrader 33520) but when I scroll through my dashboard items I have no menu available to check in on my tire pressure. Is this not available on the LR4's to see a visual representation? I could have SWORN there was an option for this, but I've never had it so I assumed I didn't have the sensors.

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all! Well, I finally got around to posting on my personal page about my own LR4 wheel/tire adventure. I have tried to learn all the lessons from you all and put it to use along the way.

Here is the post. I'd love it if you all would take a look and see if I made any big errors or need to make any major additions.

I hope this might be of use to others trying to figure out the same thing.

https://troyangrignon.com/wheels-and-tires-for-the-land-rover-discovery-lr4/

magus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, very nice Troy. Nice to see a good, general option recap vs wading through all the threads.

I did close to what you did. LR3 wheels, 30mm spacers but went with the KO2 265/65/18s. Similar experience to you: tiny amount of grinding on front calipers but the larger tires did rub a little at full lock so I shaved the frame horns a bit and all good.

Though it didn't start this way, after a couple thousand miles have had some trouble getting the wheel from not vibrating. Hoping this last road force balance has done the trick.

Again, nice write-up.

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, very nice Troy. Nice to see a good, general option recap vs wading through all the threads.

I did close to what you did. LR3 wheels, 30mm spacers but went with the KO2 265/65/18s. Similar experience to you: tiny amount of grinding on front calipers but the larger tires did rub a little at full lock so I shaved the frame horns a bit and all good.

Though it didn't start this way, after a couple thousand miles have had some trouble getting the wheel from not vibrating. Hoping this last road force balance has done the trick.

Again, nice write-up.
Thanks [mention]magus [/mention]for the comment! Glad you enjoyed it.

I wrote the article I wish I had read! I keep thinking I need to expand it even further and unpack the stuff around load index, speed ratings, and service descriptions. Tires are way more complicated than I ever thought when I started out!

I saw your recent posts about the "road force balancing". I have not tried to find a local shop that does that. I've reblanced and rotated these Cooper S/T MAXX tires 3 times but there is still a vibration I can't ****. I'll take a look and see if any shops nearby have that option.

Not surprised you had to grind the frame horns. I hoped to avoid that by going with the 60s instead of the 65s (and did avoid it.) I'm quite happy with the size and with the burliness of the tires. I put them through some pretty tough stuff already and they were brilliant off-road. Just wish they were a bit better mannered ON road and didn't have this weird vibration.

I even went so far as to swap an entirely different set of wheels and tires on and the vibration went away entirely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ishapiro

Reaction score
This is a great reference resource for the community! Thank you for putting this up! I am up for a new set of tires very soon and will be looking at all options to get into 18" rims and rubber.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm making some revisions to my post and updating / simplifying the embedded spreadsheet as I'm sure more people can make use of this. If any of y'all would not mind helping can we all pretty much agree on the highlighted cells here, namely that 30.5" ext dia. tires and smaller fit without rubbing AND fit under the truck, that 31-31.6" dia tires MAY have some rubbing and MAY have some tightness under the truck, and that once you cross over into the 32.1 and higher, you will definitely have rubbing and also will not be able to fit the spare under the truck? I know this has been beaten to death but I can only read 90 pages of forum posts so many times. :) Hoping to make this a permanent useful post for people.

Screenshot 2020-07-04 20.46.28.png

magus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm making some revisions to my post and updating / simplifying the embedded spreadsheet as I'm sure more people can make use of this. If any of y'all would not mind helping can we all pretty much agree on the highlighted cells here, namely that 30.5" ext dia. tires and smaller fit without rubbing AND fit under the truck, that 31-31.6" dia tires MAY have some rubbing and MAY have some tightness under the truck, and that once you cross over into the 32.1 and higher, you will definitely have rubbing and also will not be able to fit the spare under the truck? I know this has been beaten to death but I can only read 90 pages of forum posts so many times. :) Hoping to make this a permanent useful post for people.

View attachment 11224
So my 265/65s (as mentioned) did have slight rubbing at full lock but the spare fit underneath without deflating (just as long as the hitch was removed for the install).

How much of what tire rubs where is wheel dependent though? LR3/Compo/Tiffany etc...?

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my 265/65s (as mentioned) did have slight rubbing at full lock but the spare fit underneath without deflating (just as long as the hitch was removed for the install).

How much of what tire rubs where is wheel dependent though? LR3/Compo/Tiffany etc...?

That sounds more familiar - I'll set it so that the 31-31.6" ones fit underneath and will replace "Deflated?" with "Tight".

Did you have ro remove the heat baffle or not? I know some people did that maybe in tandem with deflation to sort of jam a spare wheel/tire combo in there.

To answer your question, I'm not sure that the wheel itself is the critical determinant. From all the posts / forums I've read it seems to be more of a function of the tire width (rubbing) and diameter (storage underneath.)

TrinidadLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the writeup, Troy. Very useful. I wish I had this to refer to last year. Just FYI, 31.9 fits on the lr4 with very light rubbing and the spare fits in the compartment, deflated. So you can flirt with 32 inches and still be OK.

That sounds more familiar - I'll set it so that the 31-31.6" ones fit underneath and will replace "Deflated?" with "Tight".

Did you have ro remove the heat baffle or not? I know some people did that maybe in tandem with deflation to sort of jam a spare wheel/tire combo in there.

To answer your question, I'm not sure that the wheel itself is the critical determinant. From all the posts / forums I've read it seems to be more of a function of the tire width (rubbing) and diameter (storage underneath.)

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the writeup, Troy. Very useful. I wish I had this to refer to last year. Just FYI, 31.9 fits on the lr4 with very light rubbing and the spare fits in the compartment, deflated. So you can flirt with 32 inches and still be OK.
Thanks. I wish I had this article myself! I will update my next version with those changes. Thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA