Everything about tires for LR4/ LR3 with 18" wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dcorn

Reaction score
I received new compomotives a month ago; marked as PD 1881 on the invoice. I asked Barry this same question, and here was his reply:

"The PD1880 was the original rim made up until 2012... The tooling was updated to give more internal clearance in 2013 so became the PD1881. All other aspects of the rim are the same..."

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks identical to me, included the stated offset. Perhaps they wanted a different model # to distinguish products shipped before and after Compomotive's bankruptcy... Who knows. My PD1880s fit like a glove, so I don't feel like I missed out on anything. ;-) But I guess Barry could probably clear up the differences between the two models, if any. I'll shoot him an email and report back.

dcorn

Reaction score
I asked this same question of Barry when I purchased my wheels in Feb and the invoice showed PD1881. His response was:

'The PD1880 was the original rim made up until 2012... The tooling was updated to give more internal clearance in 2013 so became the PD1881. All other aspects of the rim are the same... '

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Straight from the horse's mouth (Barry at Compomotive International):

The PD1880 was the original incarnation of this special wheel fitment. In January of 2014 the tooling was changed internally to give more caliper space and improve slightly on the weight of the rim. Because a change was made a new part number was assigned to the product.

The changes were made with the knowledge gained form customer feedback and updated information available from Land Rover.

The face of the wheel remains unchanged so when put back to back they PD1880 and PD1881 look identical so are a direct replacement if a damaged wheel needs to be changed.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool, thanks. Just curiosity more than anything else.

I do owe him pictures of my truck for his website! =X

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Straight from the horse's mouth (Barry at Compomotive International):
Thanks, Umberto.

That answered my question regarding what we would do if we needed a new wheel. Looks like those of us with PD1880s are still good to go.

I still love my wheels - they are well worth the extra money.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Umberto.

That answered my question regarding what we would do if we needed a new wheel. Looks like those of us with PD1880s are still good to go.

I still love my wheels - they are well worth the extra money.

You honestly feel they are worth the extra money?

Granted I have exhausted every resource I have been able to find to find a different option and have failed. Struggling to part with $2,300 for these wheels.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Granted I have exhausted every resource I have been able to find to find a different option and have failed. Struggling to part with $2,300 for these wheels.
I personally think they are well worth the money. These are excellent wheels and I feel as though they are engineered very nicely to fit the LR4. Sure, they are very expensive, but for me it was worth it considering how important wheels/tires are on these trucks if you plan to do any type of driving off the pavement.

Don't get me wrong, I think other 18" wheels can work just as fine, but I did not want to have to drill out the wheels or use spacers to clear the calipers.

Lastly, I like the simple look and more classic design of the Compomotive PD1880/1.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I know people that drop that much for a single 22" rim without even blinking... When I first purchased my Sport 8 years ago, I got a set of staggered 21" rims and tires from a German Porsche tuner for $7K. :stupid: They are now collecting dust in my garage. Luckily I am not into all that bling anymore, but it puts the $400-ish cost of a Compo wheel in perspective. It's a strong, well built, lightweight alloy that manages to look good at the same time, and it fits our "finicky" and morbidly obese cars to perfection. If there was a cheaper, good-looking and viable alternative out there I'd be thinking about it as well, but I don't see any. 19 and 20" wheels are a compromise, I don't trust spacers, I don't want custom modified wheels and steelies make me look like a redneck. :biggrin: No thanks.

Last edited:

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear you Fin and Umb. They are a great looking wheel and at $420 for the thought of something that works out of the box it does make it seem like a better deal.

I will say that Umb you are nuts as I have been a sports car guy and seen people spend crazy money on wheels, I just can't bring myself to do it. Heck, there was a guy in my Jeep forum that bought a set of 20" HRE wheels for his Jeep at $10K. And those were just his street wheels, not his off-road wheels..... :stupid:

Looks like I am going to admit defeat of finding another option from here in the USA.

Can someone tell me why the stock LR sensors won't work with these wheels? I am struggling to also find some TPMS sensors in the 433Mhz frequency.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM