Everything about tires for LR4/ LR3 with 18" wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

patski

Reaction score
Hey All, New to the forum and wanted to share the results of my wheel and tire upgrade. I read nearly every page of this thread before deciding which route to go. There is obviously a lot of great feedback and opinions to sift through, so thank you to everyone who has contributed. I figured sharing my results might help others with their decision making process.

2016 LR4 / Compomotive PD1881 / KO2 265/65/18's

Wow, really looks great!

Johnson rods? Their website says you need them with the 31.5s...

mrezo

Reaction score
Here’s some profile shots of the truck at different height settings with BFG KO2s at 275/65r18.

I keep the disco at standard factory height for daily driving.

I programmed a couple of custom settings with the GAP tool to override the factory setting when off-roading. Before airing down, I’ll set on of the settings below as my new default, increasing the standard height and preserving increased height on demand by enabling Offroad mode.

Comfort Offroad = Standard + 25mm (Approx 1” lift)
Modified Offroad = Standard + 50mm (Approx 2” lift)

selecting Offroad height when either of the above are enabled increases the vehicle another 50mm.

Photos are of the vehicle include:
  • Modified Offroad in Offroad mode
  • Modified Offroad in standard setting
  • Factory height setting restored for daily driving

2F075691-431D-4F60-84D1-BEAB5555B775.jpeg

B00FDECB-80B5-4105-9702-DA3DC9A6B5A2.jpeg

27883166-E8C6-4FBD-A899-9AC504699BDB.jpeg

Oddboy

Reaction score
Hope this doesn't count as reviving a dead thread but this is where I obtained my original information.

After reading through this thread, the most common wheel is:
  • tire size 265/65 R18
  • rim Compomotive PD1881 with an ET44 offset
  • tire brand BFG KO2 (no surprise there).

I've decided to go with 265/65 R18 on a TuffAnt MKII with a ET27 offset. The PD1881 must be popular for a reason, but I'm surprised there aren't more people choosing the TuffAnt MK1 & II. They look great, they're steel, and TuffAnt seems very focused on fitment specific to the requirements of LR/RR.

The next step is choosing tires, and I've narrowed it down to a few solid A/T tires and compared them in Sheets.

I'm leaning toward the Nitto Ridge Grappler - had them on my Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk KL and they were great. Hybrid tire with A/T road manners and M/T characteristics on the trail. All the tires listed have a greater load carrying capacity than my stock Continental SureContact LX tire (2271 lbs.), but they're also considerably heavier. The KO2 and Ridge Grappler LT's both weigh nearly 20 lbs more per tire than stock, and when you add the increased weight of the steel MKII I'm curious what kind of impacts that'll have on the suspension/drive-train.

Conversely, the Toyo/Cooper/Falken tires are much less expensive alternatives. I could save almost $200-250 on a set of five, but I'm not sure those cost savings are worth the capability I'd lose on the trail. I'd love to hear any opinions if you guys have them, but either way I'll update with my choice and post some pictures once they're installed.

Photo Jun 16, 9 40 03 AM.jpg Photo Jun 16, 9 40 17 AM.jpg
TireChart.JPG

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hope this doesn't count as reviving a dead thread but this is where I obtained my original information.

After reading through this thread, the most common wheel is:
  • tire size 265/65 R18
  • rim Compomotive PD1881 with an ET44 offset
  • tire brand BFG KO2 (no surprise there).

I've decided to go with 265/65 R18 on a TuffAnt MKII with a ET27 offset. The PD1881 must be popular for a reason, but I'm surprised there aren't more people choosing the TuffAnt MK1 & II. They look great, they're steel, and TuffAnt seems very focused on fitment specific to the requirements of LR/RR.

The next step is choosing tires, and I've narrowed it down to a few solid A/T tires and compared them in Sheets.

I'm leaning toward the Nitto Ridge Grappler - had them on my Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk KL and they were great. Hybrid tire with A/T road manners and M/T characteristics on the trail. All the tires listed have a greater load carrying capacity than my stock Continental SureContact LX tire (2271 lbs.), but they're also considerably heavier. The KO2 and Ridge Grappler LT's both weigh nearly 20 lbs more per tire than stock, and when you add the increased weight of the steel MKII I'm curious what kind of impacts that'll have on the suspension/drive-train.

Conversely, the Toyo/Cooper/Falken tires are much less expensive alternatives. I could save almost $200-250 on a set of five, but I'm not sure those cost savings are worth the capability I'd lose on the trail. I'd love to hear any opinions if you guys have them, but either way I'll update with my choice and post some pictures once they're installed.

View attachment 11106 View attachment 11107
View attachment 11108
Looking at your color-coded spreadsheet, I feel like I'm reading the post of a brother from another mother.

I did the same exercise and ended up with 265/60/R18s on LR3 wheels with spacers, and Cooper Discoverer S/T MAXX hybrids (A/T/ M/T blend). They're heavy and noisier than a standard A/T but not as noisy as a M/T, but have been absolutely stellar off-road in some very tough terrain.

Definitely let us know the final update!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The PD1881 must be popular for a reason, but I'm surprised there aren't more people choosing the TuffAnt MK1 & II. They look great, they're steel, and TuffAnt seems very focused on fitment specific to the requirements of LR/RR.

The Compo PD1881 got roughly an 8 to 10-year head start over competitors such as TuffAnt, Evo Corse, etc. They started manufacturing the PD1880 (later replaced by PD1881, virtually identical) way back in 2007, years before the LR4 was even introduced, as the only 18" wheel that would fit over the Brembos of the 2006-2009 RRS S/C. As a matter of fact, that wheel was originally designed for the Bowler Nemesis, a monster rally car heavily based on the original RRS S/C.

Luckily for us, LR decided to use the same rotors from that model RRS on the LR4 in 2010. So, for several years if you wanted an 18" wheel to fit the LR4 without spacers, caliper grinding or other surgeries, the Compos were pretty much the only game in town, which is probably why they seem so popular, despite being fairly expensive (they are quality wheels however, since they were designed for the abuses of a rally car.)

Fuji4

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member