Fuel tank capacity- Sucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many miles are you guys getting out of a tank? I'm moving over from a Nissan Xterra, and I could get 270 miles in mostly city driving on one tank. The Nissan tank is smaller, and it's MPG only slightly higher. I'm really hoping that I can get at least that 270 out of tank in the LR4 with mostly city driving.
You should get at least 270, though most people get low 300s. I get about 285 miles out of a tank and I have a roof rack with 2 large Pelican boxes, rock slider/steps, and front skid plate. When I did not have these accessories, I was getting around low 300s.

I hope that helps.

-David

festus

Reaction score
How many miles are you guys getting out of a tank? I'm moving over from a Nissan Xterra, and I could get 270 miles in mostly city driving on one tank. The Nissan tank is smaller, and it's MPG only slightly higher. I'm really hoping that I can get at least that 270 out of tank in the LR4 with mostly city driving.

I just moved over from an Xterra and I usually got closer to 300 miles on a tank but on my first tank with the LR4 I got a little over 250 miles. Although when I filled up I was only able to pump 18 gallons so I suppose I could have gotten around 300 miles if I would have continued to drive beyond the empty warning.

GoLoaf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you guys noticed if the vehicle drives differently once the empty warning comes on? I've only had it come on once, and I might be paranoid, but it seemed to be a little sluggish with the light on. As of the truck was trying to conserve its resources and not let me drive with a heavy foot.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you guys noticed if the vehicle drives differently once the empty warning comes on? I've only had it come on once, and I might be paranoid, but it seemed to be a little sluggish with the light on. As of the truck was trying to conserve its resources and not let me drive with a heavy foot.

Maybe you should take off slower. ;) There is no reason it would run differently unless you are somehow causing interruptions in the fuel supply.

GoLoaf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: Just got the fuel light to come on, and I'm at 270 miles. Mostly city driving, but with a highway trip mixed in there. Seems on par with the ol' Xterra. I'll take it.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
this past Monday my fuel light came on a bit over 800 miles on my trip from filling up in Olympia, to Seattle, to Bend OR, then back north ;) it's long enough to become annoyed with the seat.

Anyway, I got 16 mpg on the screen but it's reporting 6.76% under actual distance covered due to the larger tires so really about 17 mpg. Compared with gps the speedometer also shows the tires about 7% off.

PeterA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad I found this thread. Thanks, it really helped to understand the conflicting information. (Tank capacity, distance to empty, average mpg and the fuel light are all NOT synchronized.) I've had my LR4 just over a month and this is my only complaint. The tank is just too small for this beast. (Coming from 3 RR's - 96, 01 and 06, I pushed the tank to the limit and was often able to get 27+ gallons on a fill-up, never running out despite a few times looking for a gas station with -- miles remaining).

So far I've been filling up when the distance to empty is around 35 miles and I haven't been able to get more than 17.5 gallons into the tank. I can now relax a little - there is clearly more fuel remaining than the distance to empty is indicating. Thanks again ....

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad I found this thread. Thanks, it really helped to understand the conflicting information. (Tank capacity, distance to empty, average mpg and the fuel light are all NOT synchronized.) I've had my LR4 just over a month and this is my only complaint. The tank is just too small for this beast. (Coming from 3 RR's - 96, 01 and 06, I pushed the tank to the limit and was often able to get 27+ gallons on a fill-up, never running out despite a few times looking for a gas station with -- miles remaining).

So far I've been filling up when the distance to empty is around 35 miles and I haven't been able to get more than 17.5 gallons into the tank. I can now relax a little - there is clearly more fuel remaining than the distance to empty is indicating. Thanks again ....

Some people advise to fill up when the indicator shows a quarter tank.
This is because the fuel tank is shaped like a horseshoe so you might find yourself "out of gas" when cornering... I probably should just write turning as cornering seems extreme for such a large truck.
Even though I don't race mine, I do follow this advice.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I fill up at 1/4 tank in the winter. In the summer I will go to 1/8. Especially on this car, where it is so damn conservative.

Bhos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have found that "distance to empty" means I have 4 more gallons. The "distance" it is measuring is to the grey on my truck. I then put 19.? gallons in an off I go.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM