gas cap loose or missing . . . . . check engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Rover

Reaction score
1,400 miles on an '07 LR3. The check engine light is on (steady, unblinking). The message displayed is that the Gas Tank Cap is Loose of Missing.

I checked the cap. On, off. Off, on. It's fine.

Nevertheless, the light is still on and the display still insists that there's a gas cap issue.

I know it's under warranty, etc., but is this "one of those things" that has happened or that there's a TSB our there . . . . ?????? Anyone? Anything? Bueller . . . . Bueller . . . . . . :help:

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an '05...so, if there are any gas cap TSB issues I would hope they have figured them out by now. I don't think you have to run to your dealer, but you should definitely have them check it on your next visit. In my experience, they are very good at debugging anything in the fuel system. They'll do a pressure test, check sensors for errors, or just give you a new fuel cap. I wouldn't worry. 1400 miles? You're just working on the kinks. :)

KyRover

Reaction score
If your gas cap was loose and you tightened it, the light will stay on for several on/off cycles. If the light is still on after a couple of days then you will need to see the dealer.

I had the light/message a couple of weeks ago, it took a couple of days after I tightened cap before the light/message reset.

zdas04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since the fuel tank recall on '05 LR3 two years ago, that message has only been OFF about 2 months. It comes and goes, but it mostly stays. When it has been on for a few weeks, the yellow check engine light comes on. I hate ignoring messages and lights, but sometimes you just have to do things you hate. Three different dealers have looked at it and all have cleared the lights/messages for a few weeks and then they come back.

I'm sure the '08 I'm buying next month will have its own personality--that's why we buy Brit vehicles.

David

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99