Hard Choices

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ar077

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It might be hard to stomach the price for a new Jeep until you look at how low the depreciation is. Pay a lot up front, and get a lot in return when you sell. It's really kind of astonishing, when you consider how many Wranglers are sold. But I guess that's what happens when a car company figures out what a good chunk of the population actually wants.

Jeep is killing it with the new Wrangler and Gladiator, especially when the diesel hits the market; they're pretty much what I wish Land Rover had done with the new Defender. I can spec either of those Jeeps with the creature comforts I actually want (leather, heated seats and steering, etc.) and be happy as a clam with the sole exception of seeing my twin on every-other street corner. Yeah, they will ride rougher, but I can also fit 35" tires on it without it being the internet event of 2019.

The new JL Jeeps are garbage and are falling apart - https://www.wcpo.com/money/consumer...t-investigating-welds-on-jeep-wrangler-frames. Fiat (Feeble Italian Attempt at Transportation)-Chrysler needs to hire an engineer who can fix the problem with their welding robots.

Last edited:

Cthehentz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The new JL Jeeps are garbage and are falling apart - https://www.wcpo.com/money/consumer...t-investigating-welds-on-jeep-wrangler-frames. Fiat (Feeble Italian Attempt at Transportation)-Chrysler needs to hire an engineer who can fix the problem with their welding robots.

My luck, I bought the new Rubicon last Saturday and this comes out. Goes to show you just can't win, I buy an LR4 and almost one year later it needs timing work, I buy a jeep it may have faulty welds, I owned two 6.0 power strokes 03' and 07' worst engine on the market but I had ZERO issues pulling my fifth wheel all over the west coast unlike my buddies Duramax that loved limp mode or dads cummins devouring injector pumps and transmissions. Point is there are no winners but plenty of haters...

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My luck, I bought the new Rubicon last Saturday and this comes out. Goes to show you just can't win, I buy an LR4 and almost one year later it needs timing work, I buy a jeep it may have faulty welds, I owned two 6.0 power strokes 03' and 07' worst engine on the market but I had ZERO issues pulling my fifth wheel all over the west coast unlike my buddies Duramax that loved limp mode or dads cummins devouring injector pumps and transmissions. Point is there are no winners but plenty of haters...

I suppose the bright side is that this probably isn't a problem they can just "let go," and maybe they've addressed it by now.

Toyota had to do a frame recall on their trucks. Same thing will probably happen with Jeep.

Cthehentz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally picked up the LR4, she got new head gaskets, studs all new timing parts, all cooling parts replaced basically I told them while you have it apart replace anything and everything that is plastic or questionable. Now the question is do I keep or do I sale?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I doubt you'll get the additional money out of it that you just put into it vs. if you had sold it before, so I'd keep it at least for a little while.

Cthehentz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I doubt you'll get the additional money out of it that you just put into it vs. if you had sold it before, so I'd keep it at least for a little while.
Tell me about it, My plan was to have it repaired and drive it another five years BUT then the wife beat me into a new Rubicon, if I had known that I would have traded it in but no in my world things always work a$$ backwards.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha. You seem to have the same financial sense when it comes to cars that I do.

I'm thinking of getting something different myself, right around when the depreciation curve on my LR4 is starting to level out.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally picked up the LR4, she got new head gaskets, studs all new timing parts, all cooling parts replaced basically I told them while you have it apart replace anything and everything that is plastic or questionable. Now the question is do I keep or do I sale?

Mileage and year please. I will give you a lowball offer for it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM