Hard Choices

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LR4FoxsSake

Reaction score
@Cthehentz what was our total bill if you don't mind divulging?

I just had the engine pulled and timing, head, water pump and plastic parts done for around $7K - 11 days after buying a 2014 LR4 with 114K on it! It burns the pocketbook but since having it back it drives very well so far with the only complaint being a shield that is broken and rattles a bit. For me, the key is the indy shop I found and his ability to be accessible, fair and honest compared to 2 others I tried in town.

My story is here https://www.landroverworld.org/threads/crankshaft-sensor-or-timing-chain-or.40780/page-4#post-211910. I seem to be an optimistic LR owners (or one of the dumbest MF'ers to walk the earth) since I believe that after a big repair it will be the last for a while allowing me to justify some sort of payback period.

The timing chain, et al. setup is a poor design for this and many vehicles. Audi and Volvo for sure need this type of repair around 100K so I figure it's a wear part like brakes and tires. That said, it's a big big ticket and in my case it went beyond your average timing chain damage and expense.

Cthehentz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Cthehentz what was our total bill if you don't mind divulging?

I just had the engine pulled and timing, head, water pump and plastic parts done for around $7K - 11 days after buying a 2014 LR4 with 114K on it! It burns the pocketbook but since having it back it drives very well so far with the only complaint being a shield that is broken and rattles a bit. For me, the key is the indy shop I found and his ability to be accessible, fair and honest compared to 2 others I tried in town.

My story is here https://www.landroverworld.org/threads/crankshaft-sensor-or-timing-chain-or.40780/page-4#post-211910. I seem to be an optimistic LR owners (or one of the dumbest MF'ers to walk the earth) since I believe that after a big repair it will be the last for a while allowing me to justify some sort of payback period.

The timing chain, et al. setup is a poor design for this and many vehicles. Audi and Volvo for sure need this type of repair around 100K so I figure it's a wear part like brakes and tires. That said, it's a big big ticket and in my case it went beyond your average timing chain damage and expense.

All in out the door $5289. The shop manager said he hasn't seen one come in for preventive maintenance because most people are unaware of the issue and when they show up the engine skipped timing and suffered catastrophic failure. I can say that while I thought mine really didn't need the timing system replaced but now I can say yes it did, you can barley hear the injectors it is so quiet. Now they did not remove the engine but did remove the heads so I had a chance to see the heads, old guides and tensioners on the work bench, the guides did have a small amount of material missing but the mechanic said that was normal and the tensioner was bad on the left side but the right side was in good condition.

I haven't had a car payment in years so this was a little easier to justify making the repairs although I am totally upside down as far as value goes but she is ready for the next 100k....

Cthehentz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Little update, I started to notice a little white smoke at startup so I ran it to the shop and they had to replace the passenger side valve cover so now I am up to $5800 grand total on the rolling brick. I will say after the updates the only thing you can hear is the injectors.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM