Hard Choices

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cthehentz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spoke with the mechanics and they are baffled why I had this work done, chain was a little lose but well within spec and tensioner/guides were the originals with wear. They were baffled because usually people bring them in after the engine skips timing lol never as preventative. On a side note I drive a 2020 Jeep Rubicon today and I loved it but again not my cup of tea...

dlonesty

Reaction score
Sorry, but I prefer the LR4 MY 2011, which is my vehicle. Yes, I have done the timing chain and transmission fluid change and keep up the maintenance. I drove a load Jeep and find them too much like a car in height and sight lines. I am willing to pay for repairs on mine, since it is paid for, as opposed to buying a new Jeep. 156000 miles and still driving like new.
\

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but I prefer the LR4 MY 2011, which is my vehicle. Yes, I have done the timing chain and transmission fluid change and keep up the maintenance. I drove a load Jeep and find them too much like a car in height and sight lines. I am willing to pay for repairs on mine, since it is paid for, as opposed to buying a new Jeep. 156000 miles and still driving like new.
\

I feel like I work for Jeep corporate in this thread, but... what Jeep did you drive? Because a Wrangler is one of the few that's similar to an LR4, where you've got a commanding view and don't feel like you are sitting in a bathtub.

In fact, you've got such a high seating position in the Wrangler that my main complaint in my JK was the top of the windshield was too low; I had to hunch over to see the stoplights when I was the first car in line (still do in the LR4, but not as much).

I think the only new vehicles around that are like that anymore (available in the U.S., at least) are the Wrangler/Gladiator and the G-Wagon. Not sure about the new Defender; it looks a lot more high-waisted than the classic Defenders.

itiosso

Reaction score
Jeep hasn't used the 4.2 since 1990.

My 2012 JK accelerated as good or better than my 5.0 LR4. Hardly anybody makes slow vehicles anymore. In fact, I'd opine that a lot of vehicles are overpowered for what they are.
Absolutely no way, unless you had a tune. My 13JKU with a tune performed much better than other JKUs as far as acceleration and mpg with 35s on it. However, it does not come even close to 5.0L.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Absolutely no way, unless you had a tune. My 13JKU with a tune performed much better than other JKUs as far as acceleration and mpg with 35s on it. However, it does not come even close to 5.0L.

Both the '13 Wrangler Unlimited and the '12 LR4 are rated at 7.5 seconds from 0-60.

They're the same. The Jeep makes less power but is also much lighter.

itiosso

Reaction score
Love this topic, but everyone has their own perspective and experience.

I had several vehicles, including Toyota (FJ Cruiser) and a Jeep JKU. The forums for Toyota are plagued with issues, especially for Tacomas. I actually see more issues with Toyota on their forum compared to the LR4 specifically.

Jeeps are all over the market, but as far as my personal experience and others in my circle of friends, the wrangler tends to be very very reliable, especially in lieu of all the mods and additional tear and wear they can cause.

So far, my LR4 has been the most reliable vehicle I had. Despite owning it for just over a year and 20k miles put on it by me. JKU was on par with LR4, if I count the time after I fixed some of the damage caused on the axle mounts by previous owner. After that, it was absolutely solid.

The Wranglers will make you feel like you can go anywhere and nothing can stop you. It's more agricultural and noisy, more plastic and rattles. Yes, it can also have leaks from the seals of the removable panels. All easy fixes.

The LR4 is overall superior with AWD, comfort, luxury and capability for real world needs. It's a better package in my opinion. I plan to keep it for a while, the only vehicle I would replace it with at this point would be the new diesel JLU, RUBICON trim.

Matt Weiss

Reaction score
@Cthehentz How attached are you to your wife? lol.

I love my LR4 even though I just dished out some $$$$ for the timing chain, new cylinder head, water pump... I still have the support of the family as they all love it as well. Admittedly, I am hard-pressed to pick and choose where I would drive it for reasons posted above. I live in Minneapolis and we tend to go North and West for travel. There are no dealers or even indy's that I would trust should something happen on the road.

View attachment 10444

How much dif this fix cost? Timing chain, cyl head and water pump???

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM