Hard suspension 2018 Discovery Diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bock

Reaction score
I decided to keep my 2018 till death do us part and have a question . Its always been a hard ride over bumps, bridge seams and any not smooth surface. I don't think I got the air-ride because didn't read the specs carefully. Can I replace the shocks with something a little more absorby? This vehicle is not for off-roading for at least another 5 years- so willing to spend a little cash to make a more comfy ride :) Thank You

Last edited:

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had to ask not owning a LR Disco with air suspension but springs.
Have you driven other 2018 Discoveries th compare your Disco if it is normal this "hard ride" condition?
Binding shock which if happened would be one not both at once at one end of vehicle?
Had me thinking too much air pressure in the airbags yet you'd be fully raised unless there was other means controlling vehicle heigth than airbag inflation amount?

At 4,800 lbs. weight or more not a lightweight vehicle that is a lot more sensitive to any small increase in suspension firmness resulting in larger firmness amounts.

This "hard ride" normal for the diesel version of your Disco?

Sad now labled as bad after the VW smog tinkering against the EPA bad wrap on all diesels hence LR the last diesels sold in America are now all gone which has me thinking a rare or low production vehicle how much harder it will be to find replacement parts in the future?

At seven years old LR was already selling "genuine LR parts" like the manual radio antenna from India that would drop through the fender antenna hole being too small of rubber base.
Told it "will fit direct replacement no returns or refunds be special ordered parts". Yeah right under ten years old only seven on the 95 Disco One 5-speed I still own.

A sure bet diesel powered any model LR that LR wants to wash their hands on them ASAP hence thinking how hard it will be to find replacement parts here in America vs the rest of the world with most vehicles powered by diesel.

Careful about your "death do us part" remark with the odds not against you one would hope not happen possibly having the Disco go first not by your choice but by parts NLA.

Tyres can play into having a harsh ride which i'm into a firm ride like Mercedes or BMW are known for and nothing crazy bone jarring. Firm into ride and especially cornering how I setup my Disco allowing driving 800 plus miles a day aftert day not wanting to walk away from it due to riding to firm or hard like drift vehicles of one (stupid) purpose only.

Older "keeper Disco owners group" i've run across many have replaced the airbags and installed coil springs after too many airbag failures never looked back being 90% plus street duty that also live several decades vs offroad used.

First series MythBusters, one episode placing tight jeans on Lance "Jean Death Shrinkage" episode to see it it caused stress on the heart. I have Dr. Edward Kersh's 95 Discovery (5-spd) since 1-2000 to present. Dealerships hated his every minor item complaints I was told. Dirty dealership billing several items not serviced but charged required work done at end of 5/60K lease to be a keeper Disco. Best part it had 7/100K I used for two more years allowing the new 4.6 engine now at 4.9 litre.

Any found problem and corrections post your findings. I bet LR will tell you it's a normal ride also wanting all diesel LR's to vanish ASAP.......~~=o&o>.......

Bock

Reaction score
Hi- Thank you for your comments. I didn't realize it was no air just coils-bought long distance. and I'm a girl. You are right, I think about parts availability since there won't be more diesels (considered getting a defender and was told firmly-there won't be any US diesels) . Still, don't know another vehicle I want to dump gobs of money into new and I enjoy the space and performance of my 2018. Did mention to my current Service Mgr and he concurred tires could affect stiffness. I have some cool Nittos, but am willing to consider something else next round. He was pretty helpful and did mention he knows a guy that does custom suspension work and knows LR well, so maybe he can help. Will keep posted what happens in case some other poor sod who is used to air and went back to springs pops up. At a former dealership I was told I needed $3000 of stuff done at my 50,000 mile point - total scam. Many suggestions were things done as a courtesy at current dealer , many duplicative and un-needed things suggested in strong terms ): Glad I switched dealerships. Interested what folks did/used installing coil springs rather than factory airbags.

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correction needed Brock, your a woman or lady and not a girl respectifully speaking.

I'm surprised there was a spring conversion replacement available vs dealing with airbags unless airbags were an option and coil springs as standard equipment?

Considering diesel engines weigh more than gas engines the diesel versions having stiffer springs compensating for the added weight. In your case I bet your diesel has stiffer springs?
Have you test driven another V6 turbo diesel to compare yours against other diesels your harsh ride?

I'd be looking into aftermarket lighter or softer springs once you know the specs of your harsh riding springs able to select softer replacement springs if they are available?
Also look into replacement shocks as they may be your harsh riding issue vs the springs?
More tech and features the more to go wrong or fail considering Land Rovers started out as simple yet solid vehicles that were trouble free. Underpowered especially the diesel I recall topped out around 53 mph best.
Two family friends had LR's dad and I gave them annual tune ups, a 54 and 57 Rovers they owned for decades.
One "watch this" adventure the 54 rolled ending on it's lid. Block a tackle back on it wheels again. Added oil replacing oil drained out while upside down along with battery the acid drained out, guess what it smoked, cleared up and back running normal again. Body dents plus broken windshield running another four decades at the ranch.

Basic simple not a full on electronic nightmare requiring dealerships to keep running everytime the LR decides to fart out of tune.
If I were way out in the bush with zero outside support i'd take a 50's era LR be it diesel or gasoline powered with a carburetor over anything controlled by electronics and computers.
Plastic id radiator burp plug know to become brittle and break stranded, happene me with the 95 D1. Threaded in a green stick of oak a plug and out from 23 miles deep in dirt years ago. Plastic LR cutting corners, a early Range Rover with a bronze burp plug a nice upgrade along with a spare O-ring just in case along with a spare distributor, alternator, belt and plugs. Tyre plug kit along with 12 volt compressor.

You mentioned coil springs vs airbags, i'd check into the wire diameter off a coil along with spring outside diameter, length relaxed not compressed plus the number of coil turns.
Enter these numbers into a good spring site you will get the lbs./inch or if into metric Kg./ mm numbers for the spring rates able to compare.
It would be a challenge to compare your coil springs vs airbag "firmness or stiffness" vs different coil springs easy to compare your spring measurements able to know if your springs are way stiffer vs normal springs what is available for your LR?

Sounds like the PO replaced airbags with springs that's causing your bone jarring ride.
Any way of contacting the PO and finding out your spring manufacture along with part numbers, find the spring rates as a starting point when replacing with lighter springs?

Contractor friend has a 2005 "Super Duty" 4 x 4 F250 truck, a city street mile ride is enough for me a bone jarring uncomfortable ride. Stiffer upgraded springs on the 95 D1 still has a comfortable ride allowing 500 miles a day over several days on end not having issues forcing yourself into the Disco for another 200 miles driving.

Unless your going to catch air and beat the snot out of your LR i'd install weaker springs if it's that bad and it's a "keeper" vehicle.
Did the PO built it up for hard off road duty preventing bottoming out the suspension? Been abused comes to mind where serous off road is more important than comfort.

I have "Heavy Duty" stock heigth springs and shocks all around on the 95 D1, firm but comfortable being street and highway only that increased cornering abilities by a large amount along with 190% front & 230% rear stiffer anti-roll bars. If left factory original this D1 would of been on it's roof a month after new ownership back in 1/2000. A ugly surprise happened once holding a line at app 48 mph going into a turn that tightened up, had five to six seconds up on two wheels. Right then and there stiffer springs and anti-roll bars required plus removed all the rubber suspension pieces, installed all Poly bushings everywhere possible.
Steering sharpened up, responds with small steering corrections, no wondering along with correcting steering working the steering wheel constantly instead just held in a fixed position.
Loose steering box, tie rod ends and ball joints, don't forget loose wheel bearings, shot rubber leading and trailing arm (radius arm) bushings resulting in wondering steering turds to drive Land Rovers. Playing submarine rused and worn out suspension ball joints and A arms of newer LR's. Solid axles at both ends no worries properly maintained swivel bearing preload on the older Disco One. alignments set and good for decades.

This is 100% out of my intrest in LR Discoveries, i'm geared up with specs concerning 94 and 95 US imported Discos with the only addition and details of the 4.6 litre engine along with aftermarket upgrades along with a chip to wake up those engines yet able to pass Kalifornia smog checks legally. Under two minutes remove cold ram air ducting, rotate one sensor to factory spec for the visual and tailpipe sniff inspection. Readjust, reinstall cold ram air ducting back to good running condition again vs other LRowners that have to replace their performance engine with a factory engine every two years to pass those nasty Kalifornia smog checks.

Sorry i'm out of ideas, all the best in solving your harsh riding issues Brock. .....~~=o&o>.......

Last edited:

Winegrower

Reaction score
I know this topic is suspenion focused but don't forget the wheels and tires along with proper air pressures at your altitude. I just returned from a trip up north and had to check the air pressures multiple times to maintain that smooth ride I'm used to.

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bock lives under 500 foot elevation hence not a elevation pressure altitude issue.

Pay the ripoff prices and have Nitrogen installed but first have the tyres deflated then filled a couple times to purge out most of what's left being 22% oxygen along with mixed gasses and moisture which should be changed monthly. Sorry couldn't resist......~~=o&o>......

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA