Headlight Burns Out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Rover

Reaction score
Ever since replacing the OEM headlight bulbs I can’t keep bulbs for more than 60 days. It’s like this: I replaced the originals (both) with a Sylvania bulb. Then 2 mos later the opposite side burned out. Then 2 mos later, the opposite side burned out. Repeat times 4. Yes, I do not touch the bulbs-ever. And FYI, I have left one bulb in for 6 mos and it does not burn out. However, as soon as I put in the new bulb on the previously burned out side, the old one burned out. It’s like X-Files! What’s the deal here?!? Anyone else have this issue?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Normally, whenever one bulb burns out, I always replace both. One bulb burning out is a surefire way to know that the other bulb is nearing the end of its life.

Your situation seems odd, though, in that a replaced bulb is only lasting a few months.

What do the burnt-out bulbs look like when you remove them? Do they look normal, with just a burnt filament, or do they look like the exterior glass has blown out at all?

I'd start by replacing both bulbs at the same time. Maybe there's something where a newer bulb has less resistance, sending more power to the older bulb? Seems stupid, but might be worth a shot.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like the Sylvania bulbs last about 4-6 months. You got a lemon the first time and one of them only lasted 2 months. Now you ping pong back and forth. Each bulb is still lasting the 4-6 months, but you have to due the job at double the interval.

So, the question is - look at the hours life of the bulb, vs how often you have the lights on, and see if 4-6 months per bulb matches. If so, no problem. If not, buy different bulbs.

Other than that, inspect the socket to any anomolies. It is getting extra vibration for some reason that would be impacting life? I'm not sure what makes car bulbs fail earlier than expected. Sylvania's 800 line may help also.

Here's what Google turned up;

Why Do My Headlights Keep Burning Out?
The most common cause is water entering the headlight capsule. If you see evidence of moisture inside the capsule, the headlight assembly may need to be replaced or resealed. If you have repeatedly replaced your headlights and it has burned out repeatedly, the most likely cause is oil from your fingers. It's important to use a tissue, cloth or gloves—or to only touch the plastic base—when installing a new bulb. With halogen bulbs, oil on the glass can cause the light to fail within hours, days or weeks.

Less common causes of short bulb life are shaking from frequent driving on rough roads, bad connections at the socket, and voltage problems.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99