1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heated Windshield

Discussion in 'LR4' started by TraciB, Feb 4, 2020.

1. TraciB

TraciB New Member

We just bought a 2012 LR4. The windshield was leaking, so the dealer we bought it from replaced it. All seems good, but I’m pretty sure the previous windshield was heated and this replacement is not. I had a Pilkington Optikool previously. Was that heated? I feel like it was, but the dealer is telling me it was replaced with the same type of windshield.
    [​IMG]

2. joey

joey Custom Rover Accessories Staff Member

Normally you will notice the heated windshield as it has visible lines going through it. It can take a few days even to get use to no seeing them.

3. ryanjl

ryanjl Full Access Member

It's pretty easy to tell. Do you see the wires in the windshield?

4. TraciB

TraciB New Member

The Pilkington pictured above was the one leaking. They replaced it with a Fuyao and it is not heated. There are no wires in this one. I'm trying to figure out if the Pilkington that they replaced was heated. We only had it a few days, so I didn't pay close enough attention. I just want to be sure that they did in fact replace the Pilkington with the same type of windshield.

Two-Up likes this.
  5. f1racer328

f1racer328 Full Access Member

PM me your vin and I’ll run it on TOPIX or you can sign up yourself and do it.

It’ll tell me all of the features your car has.

gsxr likes this.
  6. hickersb

hickersb Full Access Member

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if you have the heated windshield, don't you have both F and R defrost buttons, (with wires through the F) around the edge of the climate control - instead of a big button labeled "DEFROST" ?

Car without climate package:
    2012_land_rover_lr4-pic-59271777081039976-1024x768.jpeg

Car WITH climate package:
    2013_land_rover_lr4-pic-2017415965282587017-1024x768.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 4, 2020
  7. Schlepper

Schlepper Full Access Member

This^ What is the top right button? If you had a heated windshield, you should have the button.

Being you had a replacement windshield to begin with. The Plinkington being replaced might have not been heated even if the original was heated. My heated windshield part number is 4ER-001588. Your's is 4R-001588.

8. Chrisarobin

Chrisarobin New Member

Mine was replaced (several times) and most recently it clearly has the heating element (visible) and it does not currently work so I suspect the technician may not have connected it - anyone know where the connections are?

9. BznLR4

BznLR4 Full Access Member

Connections to the heated windshield are behind the left and right A pillar covers. Gently remove the plastic cover marked "airbag" and use a T30 driver to remove the screw. Once the screw is out, the cover pulls away easily. When putting it back, take care to nicely tuck things in, and make sure the plastic guide pin near the screw is going into the hole (it likes to go sideways).

Note that left and right halves of the windshield are on separate circuits.

On the "was my windshield heated" question, there are three things to check:
    - VIN on TOPIX (I'm happy to check that if you PM me the vin, and an earlier poster also offered)
    - Fuses in the fusebox (check fuse diagram for locations)
    - Separate front and rear defrost buttons (as earlier posted noted)

Two-Up likes this.
  10. Chrisarobin

Chrisarobin New Member

Just to confirm / wouldn’t the windshield heating element(s) connect on the outside of the vehicle considering the windshield was replaced. Is it likely or common that a typical glass repair shop could just overlook connecting it?