Help with Rear Seat DVD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ben M

Reaction score
Can I listen to the radio while the kids watch a DVD in the backseat? Haven’t been able to figure it out

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. Kids need to plug in and use headphones. Once they are listening away you can tune to the regular audio to whatever you like.

Ben M

Reaction score
KTM525 thanks for the response. When you say "plug in" are the headphones IR? I ordered some IR headphones but can they use regular 2.5mm headphones?

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The LR4 factory rear seat entertainment system's headphones use an obscure, expensive and little supported wireless technology, called WhiteFire. The overhead transmitter (hidden behind that shiny black plate located more or less above the head of rear passengers) communicates with compatible headphones in the car. Plug-in, IR and Bluetooth cans won't work, unfortunately. Land Rover's spare WhiteFire headphones cost a pretty penny, and there are no compatible "aftermarket" versions that I know of.

Last edited:

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I didn't ask about what year LR4. I assume the wired version was last used in 2013? There is a lesson here about tech and how fast it can go out of date especially if using a format that is made obsolete. The wired version was just fine lol.

I think most on on board but these days I would never bother with a rear entertainment system. A couple of ipads are a much better solution.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe 2012 and up (MOST Gen 2.1) switched to the "new" rear seat entertainment system with larger headrest monitors and WhiteFire headphones.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ben, do you see the receiver @umbertob mentioned on the ceiling behind the seat?

If you have those, then yes, once the kids are setup in the back, just play whatever you want over the speakers.

Fly501

Reaction score
Can anyone clarify if you can add headphones to the white fire system? I have two but want 3/4. Can you just buy any two white fire head phones and add them? Is there a code or frequency you need? I have a 2016 LR4 (USA) with the built in entertainment set up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72