How do you outfit the LR3 for family vacations (gear hauling)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of the original reasons I bought the LR3 was for that big fold flat cargo area. When it was just the wife and I, I could lay the seats flat and really cram a lot of gear in there for our summer vacations.

A couple years ago we had our first child, which meant I had to raise the rear seats to accommodate the child seat, and I bought a Yakima roof box to accommodate most of my kitesurfing gear (i.e. my toys). Now, most of my toys are up top, and family luggage, beach chairs, cooler, strollers & kids toys are delicately packed in the rear of the car as only a Tetris game master could manage.

This summer we're expecting a second child....and got a dog (chocolate lab). I think I'm tapped out on space now. Maybe the dog could fit between the two child seats, but that is kind of tight for a lab to lay down. So she may be in the back, which really makes the rear storage tight.

Not sure what I should do for future trips and was curious how you cram the family and a week's worth of luggage and toys into your rovers.

Appreciate any pictures or tips. Thanks!!!

-todd

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have the cargo barrier? That could help to fit more in the back.

I get by OK with family in the first two rows, and cargo in the back. I also have the OEM cargo rack and bag for the roof. And, I have the Yakima OEM bike rack hanging off the hitch.

Last edited:

huelsmma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let the dog "mans best friend" sit up front shotgun and make the wife sit in the row with the kids. Or better yet...strap her to the top! Lol

blackforestham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Roof rack is a must. I throw all my light oddball stuff up there. Camp chairs, sleeping bags, tents, camp tables, shade tents. Everything is in a dry bag or river bag which obviously keeps everything dry, but more importantly, dirt and dust free. Smart packing and proper ratchets make it a breeze. I prefer the Simms dry bag because it's long and low. Spendy tho...

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my 05 Durango (I know it's bigger, but I'm convinced the Rover is comparable space wise)

I never had any issues with me, the wife, my 2 kids, and our dog, with a weeks worth of luggage. It did help that we didn't need a lot of clothes, as we can do laundry at the cabin, gives the wife something to do as well. :biggrin:

Boaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have 4 kids - adults in the front, 3 kids in the middle row, one in the back row, with the other side folded down for gear. Rest goes on the roof rack or stays home. :cool:
:driver:

vladyshka13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last year I bought hitch carrier/basket whatever it is called and we went to SC Myrtle Beach (12-14 hours away from me). I folded all rear seats and my wife and my tree children were comfortably sleeping at night while all our luggage was stored in the courier. It can hold up to 500 lb.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe I just pack too much sh*t. :)

'appreciate the responses. That load divider may help me to stack things up higher in the back w/o risk of it flying forward on anyone's head. I have the box up top which is already full. Sounds like I have to see if there is room for another narrow bag/box or look for a hitch mounted tray I can tie other items to.

Thanks. Keep the ideas coming!!!

gtc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe I just pack too much sh*t. :)

Thanks. Keep the ideas coming!!!

Might want to invest in some smaller sh*t as well - beach chairs can take a fair bit of room, unless they have a clever design. For what it's worth we did the trip from Ontario, Canada to the Outer Banks for a week a couple of years ago in my little 3 series BMW (our old 'rover was in the shop***) with a long and narrow roof box - granted, only 1 child a the time, and the windsurfing equipment was in a buddy's van, but we could have easily strapped 2 boards and rigging to the roof. As I recall, the sand toys took up more room then anything else - but it was a bit of jigsaw puzzle....

My buddy (that came with on that trip) now has a pretty awesome windsurfing trailer - aerodynamic in shape and very cool, though it runs all LED lights for water submersion and causes the LR3 to throw lights and codes - swapping in a single normal bulb clears this up; he's created a removeable interior lining for haul dirt, mulch, etc, etc. I had it loaded down with a couple of thousand pounds of dirt and experienced no discernable dip in mileage last summer when doing a bit of landscaping (not much stop/start, though).

*** It was lit on fire by one of the ****** mechanics; I came in to have one of the exhaust hangers welded and left with new interior carpetting 3 weeks later!)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99