How to stop battery from draining

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TCM75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Umbertob is correct about the lights...I stumbled on this by accident out of frustration and then figured it might be good to read the owner's manual to see what else I was missing out on.

I must say, this car has quite a few features that one might be unaware of, as they are not really intuitive. For example, you can raise and lower the car from the fob (as long as doors are closed and hazard lights are on) which makes trailer hookup almost too easy, lol.

backroadnomad

Reaction score
I know I’m resurrecting a really old thread, but has anyone found any other tricks to avoid the low battery problem when camping?

My battery is an upgraded, larger AGM, and is barely over a year old. My 2010 LR4 gives me the low battery warning on day two or three while camping. I have an awning and keep the cooler inside, and am in and out of the vehicle a ton. I always have the interior lights disabled, but the front doors still turn on the puddle lights each time, and the LCD screens come on almost every time a door is opened too. I keep the key in the tent, but it’s only 10-15 away.

Do I just need to get the key further away? Put it in a lead box? Haha! Anyone else do extended camping?

carrie09

Reaction score
I went through two batteries, then replaced the alternator within one year. I thought the problem was fixed until nine months later the battery went dead again.
After having the third battery installed, I thought hard about what the cause could be - I had already disabled the interior lights and kept the fob at least 20 feet away.
I realized I was no longer parking in a shared garage. I had been parking in a single family home garage and was leaving the car unlocked all nights and many days. Now I always lock the car. I don't worry about where the fob is. It's been 18 months without battery drain.

douglastic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also good habit to use a battery tender monthly, if not weekly.

Can hard wire the pigtail plug to battery posts for easier access.

Open hood, plug it in.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I rig a solar panel to mine when it's going to be stationary for a while.

Could also do a battery disconnect switch if you aren't going to need any power.

I also carry one of the lithium battery jump boosters. Those things are pretty incredible. Mine is small enough that it fits into one of the 3rd row cubby boxes, but has enough power to jump my diesel truck.

Robuk

Reaction score
Do you ever check whether the battery is actually fully charged in the first place, the modern smart charging system has a habit of only partially charging the battery then relying on energy regeneration to complete the job. If there is little regen the battery can remain partially charged for lengthy periods, this is bad for the battery and may be the cause of a low battery warning which some owners are experiencing. Put one of these Ebay devices in the cig socket and check charge rate, if it goes into the 12 volts area alternator is not charging. If the starter battery has a sensor connected to the neg clamp it has smart charging. If it has that sensor just disconnect it then check charging voltage, you will get a battery warning but if charging voltage is within 13.8 to 14.4 volts it`s OK.

cig.jpg
Battery sensor.jpg

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a new one to me on how to drain your battery.

Typically I keep my headlights on auto (position 4). In Canada the headlights are always on anyhow (DRL) so it just triggers the console lights). However this morning I was driving in a snow storm and was doing OK with low beams and fogs until my auto high beam decided to start switching. At highway speed it is a little difficult to toggle through the menus to turn off auto high beam so I just switch my headlights to position 3. Everything was fine until I parked and went skiing for the day. Do you know that the headlights DO NOT auto turn off in position 3? I never did. The story has a happy ending: 6 1/2 hours with the headlights on at -9c and the engine still turned over to start (barely). 4 year old Interstate H8. I will never get anything but a H8 for this rig (more reserve capacity) as it saved my bacon today.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want to say I'm sorry to hear of your troubles, but I'm actually more ****** that you're skiing and I'm stuck in Houston...:). Maybe the 1st week of the year I'll get my first day in of the season.

I agree with you on batteries though. I have stuffed the largest AGMs that can possibly fit in both of my battery boxes. Actually surprised to hear that it would start after 6 hours of running the headlights.

Waxed and waiting. Anxiously....

20191222_231317.jpg

backroadnomad

Reaction score
I have the largest AGM battery squeezed in and properly reprogrammed, but the dumb truck still gives a low battery warning after a couple days of opening doors while camping. It never has an issue elsewhere. Maybe a **** switch or solar is in my future.

xrp86

Reaction score
I’m having the same issue with the battery draining. Just working on the car for a few hrs of doors open. Went to start in the morning and “low battery”.

any way to add a second battery anywhere, like the new models

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA