In need of the most random part ever. Any ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justin Allen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. Bought a set of used, extended roof rails off eBay. They're in excellent shape, however the set is missing one of the rubber feet inserts that slips up into the smaller, second foot. My local LR dealer is telling me it isn't sold separately. Any ideas?

1.jpg

2.jpg

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that's gonna be a tough one to find separately. Maybe there's a way to fabricate something that would at least work as a gasket around the edge of that end of the rail.

On another note, it's nice to see someone else who gets used gear and details it before installing. Did the same thing with some OEM LR crossbars I got on FB Marketplace.

Justin Allen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh no...I can't believe I may potentially have to return a perfectly good set of roof rails because of one stupid gasket.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depending on how much you saved on the used rails, it may make sense to buy another set of new knockoff rails just to cannibilize the gasket. You still may come in under the cost of new OEM rails which if memory serves is around $500+. Granted that sounds like a nutty idea...nutty enough that it just might work... :D

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is of no help at all, but anytime I come across a situation like that all I can think of is "I bet there is someone somewhere holding that part in their hand thinking: It's a shame to throw this out, but who could ever need this?" Actually, I mostly feel the other way when holding something I should probably throw out.

Last edited:

Justin Allen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is of no help at all, but anytime I come across a situation like that all I can think of is "I bet there is someone somewhere holding that part in their hand thinking: It's a shame to through this out, but who could ever need this?" Actually, I mostly feel the other way when holding something I should probably throw out.

Lol! Man I think that all the time. It's laying around somewhere right now useless to someone, and I desperately need it.

cperez, that's actually not a terrible idea. But I paid $250 for this set, and the cheapest I've seen a knockoff is I think $250. So by that point, I may as well have paid $40 more and had a brand new set.

My current situation is such:

The set I have currently are the silver rails, but again missing a rubber gasket. I actually just found a black set and purchased those as well because they came with the LR crossbars and the price was too good to pass up. So now I'm faced with a choice. I really want the silver set on the truck, so I can cannibalize the rubber foot from the black set. But now the black set is basically useless without the rubber foot. So I can't really sell them. Unless there's someone out there who just wants one single rail, and not a set.

Or I can just return the silver ones, grab a can of metallic silver spray paint and go to town on the black ones I just bought.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is of no help at all, but anytime I come across a situation like that all I can think of is "I bet there is someone somewhere holding that part in their hand thinking: It's a shame to throw this out, but who could ever need this?" Actually, I mostly feel the other way when holding something I should probably throw out.

I’ve got mild pack rat tendencies and usually give in to them when it comes to LR stuff. I keep a box in the garage where this stuff goes.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or I can just return the silver ones, grab a can of metallic silver spray paint and go to town on the black ones I just bought

Once I’m fixated on a color or feature I like, anything else falls short and compromising eats away at my soul. I’d do a quick scan of the salvage yards as @avslash suggested, then do the paint mod you are considering.

Justin Allen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So just check every random salvage yard within an hour of me, or are there specific LR shops you're referring to? I just feel like the chances of finding an LR4 within 50 miles, let alone one with an extended roof rack still in tact are slim to none.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635