IPod question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AceRider

Reaction score
So, due to my dad's good luck in winning an IPod and his inability to learn something new, I now own a 16-gig Ipod.

Question: When plugging an Ipod into the LR4 (2012 model if it matters), can you control everything from the dashboard (volume, song selection, skip track, change albums, etc)? Or do you have to use the little dial on the Ipod to control everything and the dash only determines the selection of the Ipod as your source for music?

Thanks!

Last edited:

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, due to my dad' good luck in winning an IPod and his inability to learn something new, I now own a 16-gig Ipod.

Question: When plugging an Ipod into the LR4 (2012 model if it matters), can you contol everything from the dashboard controls (volume, song selection, skip track, change albums, etc)? Or do you have to use the little dial on the Ipod to control everything and the dash only controls the selection of the Ipod as your source for music?

Thanks!

Being that I have only tested my iPhone in a 2014 model everything is accessible through the menu system on the touch screen nav. Just change your input to your iPod and you can get to playlists. Music starts playing. Can change songs and volume through the left 4-way button.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everything is controlled from the touchscreen. The interface is a bit sluggish (as I am sure you know already, the interface is sluggish everywhere...) but navigating the connected iPod is surprisingly easy. As mentioned above, change the input to iPod - under "My Music" - and then use the Browse button to browse and play the folders on the iPod - Album, Artist, Playlists, etc.

Last edited:

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a feeling these computers are run by vacuum tubes and punch cards.

Careful now. I used to work with punched cards. Even dropped a stack here and there. ;-)

But, yes, I agree with everyone on the computerized stuff. There is clearly a race among manufacturers to cram as much in as possible. And they all woefully underestimate what it takes to process all of it, the complexities of human-driven systems (as opposed to mechanical physics-driven systems) and the difficulty in debugging them when problems do occur.

I am actually leaning towards less reliance on these systems. Just need to reset my expectations. As long as it can recharge my iDevice and play my music over BT it is good enough.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As long as it can recharge my iDevice and play my music over BT it is good enough.

As long as you don't try doing both things at the same time... :biggrin: Connecting an iDevice to the dedicated USB port (for playing or charging) will disable Bluetooth audio streaming.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As long as you don't try doing both things at the same time... :biggrin: Connecting an iDevice to the dedicated USB port (for playing or charging) will disable Bluetooth audio streaming.

BMW does that too. My phone won't play music with bluetooth because it was originally setup being connected to the USB port.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it permanently disable the BT Audio or only when it is connected to the USB port? I just happened to be reading the 2014 Owners Manual and had come across the fact that it can't do both at the same time when I saw your message come through. But I didn't imagine that it would permanently disable BT Audio for use with that phone. I can see the system not being intelligent to handle both at once. My 2014 MDX seems to have trouble when I try to connect via USB at the same time it is trying to sync the BT contacts, etc.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's temporary. As soon as you unplug the iPhone, Bluetooth audio streaming resumes operating.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo