Is my starter about to die? (280A draw)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

John Higgins

Reaction score
I've been getting "low battery warning" on the dash for the past couple of days so I've been hooking it up to a trickle charger overnight for the past 2 nights.
Battery is reading just under 12.2V with the engine off and is < 18 months old.
Lots of short trips (school runs, grocery store etc.).
Wifey tends to sit listening to the radio with the ACC on / engine off - which no doubt has contributed to the current state.
Alternator appears to be charging at 14V while driving (realizing it's a smart alternator and the charging profile caries with load etc.)

Local parts store guy reported the battery charge as 'low' but mentioned that the starter was drawing 280A on startup.
I was planning on going with a new battery but should I also be concerned about the 280A draw from he starter? Is it a sign of something bad coming my way?

Car has ~80K miles.

Thanks!

John Higgins

Reaction score
Just to circle back in this one. I replaced the battery, reset the BMS and everything appears to be hunky dory.
At some stage I will have the local parts guy check the starter draw again but for now everything appears to be okay.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM