Joined the 'flatbed' club

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Suspension Fault that would not go away. Rear axle would go up/down normally, but the front would hardly rise. Maybe an inch off the bumpstops initially, but it would sink back down. Especially slumped over on the front passenger side.

IMG_0588.jpg

Under warenty - The dealer thinks its the compressor, but that seem illogical to me since the rear still functions. They wanted to charge me BIG $ for the removal of my RS slider because they were "so difficult to remove" and wanted to know what shop installed. After I told him i did alone with a floor jack he backed it down to an 1hour labor :-( Sort of lame. Anyone have a different experience?

Air compressors are on back order, so Im driving a nissna morano for awhile...

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sucks.....but I think it prolly is the compressor since the fault won't clear. It could also be the electronic control module for the compressor. A few years ago I got a recurring suspension fault that turned out to be a wiring harness that was not well insulated and was ******' off the control module with moisture. So they replaced the ECM and really insulated the **** out of the wiring harness.

No problems since...but that fault would clear on a re-boot. I did get a new compressor about a year or 1.5 years ago but that was a really strange deal because I was in the shop for something else (trivial) and they said "hey it threw a fault while it was here so we changed the compressor" and it was all under (extended) warranty so that was dumb luck I guess.

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Suspension Fault that would not go away. Rear axle would go up/down normally, but the front would hardly rise. Maybe an inch off the bumpstops initially, but it would sink back down. Especially slumped over on the front passenger side.

IMG_0588.jpg

Under warenty - The dealer thinks its the compressor, but that seem illogical to me since the rear still functions. They wanted to charge me BIG $ for the removal of my RS slider because they were "so difficult to remove" and wanted to know what shop installed. After I told him i did alone with a floor jack he backed it down to an 1hour labor :-( Sort of lame. Anyone have a different experience?

Air compressors are on back order, so Im driving a nissna morano for awhile...

I had mine fail back in April and the sob story they gave me was that they "redesigned" the compressors and called back all the ones on the shelf. 4 weeks later I finally got my LR3 back, of course I also complained to LRNA that 4 weeks is too long to wait for a part that should be stocked on the shelf (Yes I realize this wasn't my dealers fault and the blame goes completly on the manufacturer of the compressor). I got a LR2 as a loaner though.....

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4 weeks! crap. I better go get my sun glasses ;-) I had an LR2 before, I think Ill take the *****-o even with its itsy bitsy radio preset buttons. I didnt realize how addicted I have become to auto-headlights, backup sensors, bluetooth, seatheat, real transmission, 10 presets, AT tires, etc. Im totally paranoid about backing tis thing up and headlight at night now.

Last edited:

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the rear still goes up and down, then it doesn't make sense that it is compressor failure.

Keep us posted!

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, maybe it makes sense if the compressor is strong enough to lift the lighter rear, but not the front. I didnt clearly describe that I could reset the system and get the dash fault to go away for at least 3-4 minutes. "no special programs" upon startup, followed a minute later by "suspension raising slowly", then few minutes later red fault light and "speed limited to 30 mph".

Dealer said not stored codes, but truck is clearly has a problem because its "slumped over". I hope they are right with the inital diagnosis and can find a compressor soon. Its also coincidental that this happened with its first exposure to snow. luckily just inside warranty. what was that ford extended warranty info again ;-)

Bhos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just curious, what year is your LR3?

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2006 with original battery. I mentioned that because when I stopped by yesterday to pick up some stuff it didnt have enough juice to properly lock/unlock. I asked them to check that out and fix my non-locking fuel door while it sits.

lax_frat

Reaction score
Hey Morrisdl,
Could you please fill me in on the outcome? What did the dealer do to fix it?
I am having the same problem, and am going to the Dealer first thing in the morning. Am hoping it's just the compressor.
The fault came up for me 2 miles after leaving the Dealer this afternoon, they did a "ride height calibration" as my passenger side was riding an inch lower than the rest of the truck. Maybe the messed something up while doing that?
Thanks.

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Replaced the compressor and two sensors, but the ultimate fix (from memory) was a short in the wiring near the height sensor. The truck really did not like the wet and cold combo, so we moved to VA. Probably got an extra year or two out of the original battery by moving too. Still kicking on the original 2006 batttery...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99