Just exceeded warranty, where is everyone buying oil and Filters from to perform fluid change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

machmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2016 LR4 has passed the factory warranty period. I am going to start changing the oil myself. Where is everyone buying oil and filters from? Also, are you sticking with the 0w20 Castroil edge Pro Extended Range? I keep getting directed to Ravenol 0w20.
I have my pneumatic oil extractor so I should be good to go there. Is the oil filter socket worth buying? or will my traditional clamp work?

Cheers,

CRYA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I've had a gradual decline in my willingness to spend $$$ on oil. I started with the Gucci OE stuff from Atlantic, then stepped down to my preferred LiquiMoly Molygen from FCP Euro, and now, for the first time, I stepped down again to Costco Full Synthetic 0-20. But I'm changing at 5K intervals so the Costco stuff can't be beat.
Yeah, grab the filter socket. So much easier, and allows for torque spec.

LR4Slavo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2010 with the V8 which calls for 5w20 but I found that the best source for the Castro Edge oil is Walmart, goes for $21-$24 a 5qt jug. As for the filters, Amazon has been a great source for OEM/Mahle filters - don't forget to change your air filter, spark plugs, diff/transfer case and transmission fluids if you want to keep your rig in top top shape. Ryan also mentioned in an earlier thread along the same lines that BG44K injector cleaner is a good thing to put in every oil interval to keep 'em expensive injectors happy

Last edited:

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2016 LR4 has passed the factory warranty period. I am going to start changing the oil myself. Where is everyone buying oil and filters from? Also, are you sticking with the 0w20 Castroil edge Pro Extended Range? I keep getting directed to Ravenol 0w20.
I have my pneumatic oil extractor so I should be good to go there. Is the oil filter socket worth buying? or will my traditional clamp work?

Cheers,
You need the correct filter socket. The traditional oil filter clamps/straps don't even nearly get close to working.

I have the 5.0 V8, so I've been running Mobil 1 5W-20 EP like a lot of other forum members here. No issues as far as we're aware.

Minus getting a filter, should be good to go.

Ryan00TJ

Reaction score
Walmart Mobil1 1 0w20EP. ACDelco PF659 oil filter from amazon. Been using this on our 16' since warranty ran out a few years ago.

Ryan00TJ

Reaction score
I've always put in 8 qts. It's perfect level on the digital gauge. IIRC, get an 89mm oil filter wrench for the canister cap. It fits with less play than the normal 90.

Salanizi

Reaction score
I got AC Delco Dexos Gen2 0w20 full syn oil, 8 liters (8.5 qts) and a Hengst oil filter. Will change every 10k kms (6k miles) (first oil change last week, new owner)

2015 3.0SCV6

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LR Time recently had a YT video about changing the oil viscosity for the diesel LR4 engine. Part of what caught my attention was the research he had done on actual viscosity, and what was driving the pursuit of lower viscosities: emissions and mileage at the expense of engine wear.

He talked about the oil company web sites leading him wrong on what spec oil to use; not the 5W-30 part, but other relevant specs. The net result of the video was that he determined that a 5W-40 C3 oil, not the original spec of 5W-30 B1/B3. He’d looked into the HTHS specs across oils and tried to match up to what the OEM spec original oil was supposed to be. Then he added an increment to the upper viscosity number to try to get the oil pressure back to where it was supposed to be on his higher mileage engine.

It did get me wondering about the 0W-20 A1 spec oil I’m using on the SCV6, particularly when I’m going to be off-roading in Moab this summer. That oil just seems water-thin to me. But…if that’s what the manufacturer calls for, I guess best leave well enough alone.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA