Just Got an '11 LR4, Who Can Answer The Most Questions??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CaptainSpalding

Explorer
Reaction score
So why do you feel you're entitled for something for free? Do you work for free? Companies add options into pretty much everything you buy that you CANNOT access because they're for other markets. It's called, business.
Free? These capabilities already exist in the car's hardware and software, which I have paid for. There are plenty of features that are not market-dependent that require dealer activation. Any feature that can be activated that does not violate local laws should be available to the owner via the Information and Settings Menu, in my opinion.

Besides the lock/unlock chirp, some other features that the owner should be able to select without paying the dealer the predatory fee are: Rear wiper mode (Owner's Handbook, p.44) Wiper Speed Dependent Intermittent Mode (p.45) Mirrors: auto-folding (p50). There are more.

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in the health care business, and yes I work for free a lot of times. You seriiously see nothing wrong with them charging people for something that is already included in the car. They are the only ones who do that. I think as consumers we should have the option to activate or deactivate these options at delivery of the vehicle. (Lexus, BMW, MB...) If later I decide to deactivate or reactivate some of these options,then I should be charged for it. FYI, the dealer told me that all these "programable" options are free during the first year or 12k miles, but no one knows what options can or cannot be turned on or off. Is there a section in the manual which clearly lists all these things?

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Features are hidden in so many products, it's a way of business. And who is supposed to eat the labor costs to activate? The dealership? Land Rover? I agree features (some) should be included through the op system, but maybe they could not code it that way.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in the health care business, and yes I work for free a lot of times. You seriiously see nothing wrong with them charging people for something that is already included in the car. They are the only ones who do that. I think as consumers we should have the option to activate or deactivate these options at delivery of the vehicle. (Lexus, BMW, MB...) If later I decide to deactivate or reactivate some of these options,then I should be charged for it. FYI, the dealer told me that all these "programable" options are free during the first year or 12k miles, but no one knows what options can or cannot be turned on or off. Is there a section in the manual which clearly lists all these things?

BMW has charged me plenty of times for features deactivated, the clown nose blinking light is a perfect example. Maybe you're right that upon delivery you can request to have them done, for free. I had to pay $75 bucks to get my DRLs activated, I wasn't thrilled about it, but at the same time, I didn't expect the dealership to eat the labor costs either. So maybe it's an LR problem, not the dealarship's. I have read that customers who have nicely complained to LRNA about these non-US features have gotten the activations for free, which sounds like the correct channel, versus beating up a dealership. Also, have you ever seen how expensive a LR4 is in the EU? The ones with some of the features like locking chirp? They're really paying for these little treats.

CaptainSpalding

Explorer
Reaction score
I didn't expect the dealership to eat the labor costs either. So maybe it's an LR problem, not the dealarship's. I have read that customers who have nicely complained to LRNA about these non-US features have gotten the activations for free, which sounds like the correct channel, versus beating up a dealership.
I have not heard anywhere that LR has a policy on this. It seems likely that some of these features are left in the realm of dealer-only-activation to give the dealer the option of charging for them. Even if I were to grant that the dealer should not eat the labor to hook up a test book and activate features, $65 for 15 minutes of work is outlandish.

I had an '04 Discovery. I learned that although I hadn't bought it with the package that included heated seats, the front seats of every Discovery had the seat-heater elements and wiring pre-installed. To have the dealer hook up the heated seats would cost $450. Instead I ordered switches and a cover plate from Atlantic British for $75 and did it myself in a few minutes. $450 is predatory.

Last edited:

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My gripe is with LR and not the dealer. These options are activated free of charge within the first year according to my dealer. Why wasn't I informed of this when I bought the LR4? Was anyone informed of this and given a list of programmable options? I sure wasn't. This will not stop me from getting another LR however. Now I know to have all these things activated before I pick up the vehicle.

CraigyJr

Reaction score
What about the incompetent dealers. I started this topic because of , in my opinion, how terrible my dealer is.

First they tell me the foggy, wet taillight is not a warranty item on a 4,000 mile vehicle mind you. "its what land rovers do, in fact there are weep holes for it to drain" "The only way LR would replace it is if a goldfish could swim and live in it," he says laughingly.

Then i ask about programming my daytime running lights and the chirps for the lock and unlock. "Nope, we cant do that, its only in Canada and they only cause problems in Canada" I didnt even ask for it to be done free, just wanted to know if the fools could do it.

I sincerely do not believe we should not have to pay for this. Whats next , they are going to want to charge to reset my tripometer?

This was my first experience in buying a $55k vehicle, coming from a Yukon. I guess i am used to bringing in my vehicle and getting treated like a king with an everyday run of the mill vehicle. GM, oh your headlight is foggy, maybe we should replace both of them so you dont have the same problem on the other side Mr Craig.

I cant flip my lid with these people, can I? I mean i have 35,000 more miles of warranty and they are the only ones within an hour and a half.

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CraigyJr,
Did you buy the LR from that dealer? Or you bought it from a different dealer and you are going to these guys bc they are closer?

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even if he bought the LR4 from that dealer, I have found a disconnect between the sales and service area of my dealership. I have been treated like a king by the sales staff, they even continue to call me, give me gifts and invite me to events. The service area has tried hard, but failed for me on my two expieriences. I do know they are trying; the plans are well laid out, just the execution is failed.

I'm really under the impression that every time the truck returns to the dealership, someone has to pay for it. Now idealy it would be the parent company, but the gray area comes from the partnership between them and the dealer. A more "lexus" type approach would seem the best case senario.

The people on this forum are better informed than the general masses. How many people that buy a Land Rover off the floor and know very little about it will even know that there are additional features to turn on or off? Not many. Even we don't really know all hte goodies that are built in and just need a little time with a computer to unlock them.

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree. I cannot comment on the service dept since I have not had any issues with my LR so far and hopefully I would not in the future. For the couple of times I needed them to program stuff for me and for my 15k service they have been great. I really hope I will not need them for "major" stuff, since I have heard from my business partner who spent upwards of 95k on his RR SC that they were "horrible" and had no idea how to address several important issues, namely the failure of the air suspension system 3 months after delivery of the vehicle. They actually returned the RR to him with the check engine light on and with the RR leaning to one side. To add to all of this there was 250extra miles on it and their explanation was that they had to drive it to another dealer since they had no clue what the problem was. he complained to LRNA and to JD Powers (they do quality control surveys and consumer satisfaction ratings for LRNA) and eventually the issue was taken care of. We are talking about a 95k vehicle here! I really hope and pray that I will never need them for any Major work.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635