Land Rover LR4 H7 to H8 Battery Upgrade DIY

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eww. Concerning considering I just did this upgrade with a Walmart H8 battery. I had heard they were good batteries....
Most all automotive batteries sold in USA come from the same 2 or 3 manufacturers. Poke around Google and you'll find more details on East Penn vs Johnson Controls and whatnot. AFAICT none of the batteries are drastically better or worse than the others. I buy based on price+warranty with a preference for made in Germany or USA, and AGM over non-AGM.

Last edited:

mmbirtcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
H7. Not sure which line though. And didn’t have a receipt from the PO.

Kuro50

Reaction score
Just completed the battery replacement using the guide in this thread

As some have mentioned some H8 batteries are slightly better. For it it appears I can no longer put back on the battery cover. Will this be harmful to the car or components?

I also discovered a connecter that is not attached to anything. It found it like this before I installed the battery. I’m not getting any error codes and car is seemingly functioning normally. Anyone know where this attaches to? (pic attached)

Attachments

• E0F5496C-4B34-460B-B440-9EBC727D0069.jpeg
    E0F5496C-4B34-460B-B440-9EBC727D0069.jpeg
    176.1 KB · Views: 71

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The battery cover will fit with the H8, keep trying, and figure out what is interfering.

The unplugged connector is normal, you can ignore it.

pantalones

Reaction score
Funny, I was just out swapping my old Bosch H8 with a Walmart EverStart H8 and it looks like that cable doesn't actually connect to anything, it's just taped to the positive battery cable on my LR4:

20211203_192936122_iOS.jpg

I was able to close the battery cover on both my H8 batteries (Bosch & EverStart), just took a little extra force :)

20211203_192451064_iOS.jpg

20211203_192527369_iOS.jpg

20211203_193620768_iOS.jpg
20211203_193658894_iOS.jpg

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just completed the battery replacement using the guide in this thread

As some have mentioned some H8 batteries are slightly better. For it it appears I can no longer put back on the battery cover. Will this be harmful to the car or components?

I also discovered a connecter that is not attached to anything. It found it like this before I installed the battery. I’m not getting any error codes and car is seemingly functioning normally. Anyone know where this attaches to? (pic attached)

From the picture, it looks like you can position the battery more to the front of the vehicle. That will help you with the cover.

Another thing that can help with the cover is to pull the rubber weather stripping from the area around the battery, install the cover, and then reinstall the weather stripping.

WatchStander

Reaction score
Pantalones - Thank you for the excellent step-by-step description of your battery change out (ref 10APR2019 entry). Your write up made me realize I am very much like a Land Rover - yeah, I over think things and make them harder than they need to be. :)

Your write up generated some questions:
1. Why is the IID tool "optional"?
2. What are the consequences (and associated actions required) for not using the IID tool?
3. I have an Interstate MT5-49/H8 battery in my vehicle which I understand in discontinued. I was going to replace it with the Interstate recommended MTX-94R/H7, but doubt that I will after reading the positive posts about the H8 battery. Now considering the Interstate MTX-49/H8. How does the vehicle respond to the new battery if not "told" about it with the IID (or other) scan tool?
4. On a separate, but related note, are there any special considerations I should take in to account when replacing the small 14Ah aux (ECO Start/Stop) battery? I hope to replace both at the same time. When it happens, I plan to install the Interstate MTX-AUX14.

Great topic, excellent lessons learned. Thanks to all the contributors.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My speculation is that if the computers think a larger, higher-capacity battery is installed (H8)... it may possibly have the alternator "shut off" for longer periods to save 0.00425 mpg, give or take. I hate the charging system, and to date nobody has figured out how to bypass the fuel-sipping programming.

I changed mine to H8 with IID but never did the "reset" afterwards, ooops. So far, zero issues.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA