LED Signature Lighting Bulb Replacement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dtreidjr

Reaction score
I think you misunderstood the issue. What we're wanting to do is to take the housing apart and change the 10 LED Signature bulbs. I don't see any bars that are holding the clear front of the headlights onto the solid black back of the headlights.

Let me know if I'm wrong and you know how to take the headlight assembly apart. Not out, but apart once it's out. That would be great information.

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i did it. you need to remove the light housing and remove bolts that holds a bar in place. it takes some time but not all that difficult.

here's some more info and pix.

http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showpost.php?p=103688&postcount=23

The 2010 HSE models did not have the signature lighting. I believe ycharlie is talking about the side marker lamps which he swapped with LEDs. I did that also on my 2010 HSE. The signature lighting is a much more complex issue.

ycharlie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you misunderstood the issue. What we're wanting to do is to take the housing apart and change the 10 LED Signature bulbs. I don't see any bars that are holding the clear front of the headlights onto the solid black back of the headlights.

Let me know if I'm wrong and you know how to take the headlight assembly apart. Not out, but apart once it's out. That would be great information.

to get access to those leds you would need to disassemble the light housing. people usually put their housing in an oven to melt the glue/seal then pry it apart. i do not have enough desires to go through this much hassle as of yet. i'd rather just get the housing with leds from ebay for about $500 each.

dtreidjr

Reaction score
to get access to those leds you would need to disassemble the light housing. people usually put their housing in an oven to melt the glue/seal then pry it apart. i do not have enough desires to go through this much hassle as of yet. i'd rather just get the housing with leds from ebay for about $500 each.

OK, that's what we're talking about. I think I'm gonna make a call to the dealer Monday then and see what their plans are if some of the LED's go out while the car is under warranty.

ycharlie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, that's what we're talking about. I think I'm gonna make a call to the dealer Monday then and see what their plans are if some of the LED's go out while the car is under warranty.

My money is on total housing replacement. I don't think they will tamper with housing disassembly. It's not an easy job and it's time consuming. Unless there's an access compartment I've missed when I was doing the LEDs and hids...

dtreidjr

Reaction score
My money is on total housing replacement. I don't think they will tamper with housing disassembly. It's not an easy job and it's time consuming. Unless there's an access compartment I've missed when I was doing the LEDs and hids...

I'm with you. My thought was that they were glued/compressed together somehow so that the only way to get them apart was to break them or melt something. I'm gonna find out though.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely keep us posted!

If it's this difficult, I am definitely not going to bother replacing them.

Can't wait to hear more!

-David

dtreidjr

Reaction score
My dealer got back with me today.... They said they've gone through all of the programming options and haven't found anything yet to just turn on the Signature LED's. He also said that the LED's are supposed to be lifetime, but if they do go out, he believes they will have to get a whole new housing. So that really sucks.

I think I'm just gonna get the DRL's and wire them up per these instructions...

http://topix.landrover.jlrext.com/t...5#toolbar=1&statusbar=0&messages=0&navpanes=0

and then just turn the my light switch 1 click to the right. Hopefully they'll add this in in the future for the next group of LR owners.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dealer got back with me today.... They said they've gone through all of the programming options and haven't found anything yet to just turn on the Signature LED's. He also said that the LED's are supposed to be lifetime, but if they do go out, he believes they will have to get a whole new housing. So that really sucks.

http://topix.landrover.jlrext.com/t...5#toolbar=1&statusbar=0&messages=0&navpanes=0

and then just turn the my light switch 1 click to the right. Hopefully they'll add this in in the future for the next group of LR owners.
Hey dtreidjr,

Thanks for the information. I have never seen these DRLs - do you have a picture of them installed on the truck? I am wondering why you are installing these when you will get the DRL effect with the current LEDs if you turn the light switch one click to the right? Did you want the added effect of additional LEDs below?

-David

ycharlie

Full Access Member
Reaction score

i always felt a led bar could belong there in place of the honeycomb. when 2012 came with that option i wasnt surprised. what's shocking is the price for the leds. ridiculous.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4