LED Signature Lighting Bulb Replacement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi baobay,

Oh yes - I remember, but I thought maybe that was actually for YOU. I knew you had a van, but I thought the wife drove that most of the time. Hehe!

Are you going with the Bluetec version of the GL? My gals want a G500. I've always loved the G wagons, but a bit pricey considering we are trying to buy a small ranch in UT.

-David

Yes David,
Whoever has the kids drives the van. It ends up being split equally. On the weekends we drive the van mostly since all of us cannot fit comfortably in the LR4.
When the time comes I'll be looking at the bluetec. My wife does not like the boxiness of the G wagon and yes it is very pricey. How many gals do you have?

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes David,
Whoever has the kids drives the van. It ends up being split equally. On the weekends we drive the van mostly since all of us cannot fit comfortably in the LR4.
When the time comes I'll be looking at the bluetec. My wife does not like the boxiness of the G wagon and yes it is very pricey. How many gals do you have?
Hi baobay,

That makes sense to me, but I would definitely want to drive the LR4 more than the van. Hehe! The GL is very roomy and I would definitely go for the bluetec - though diesel fuel is no better than premium. Still, I really like the Mercedes Bluetec engine. The G wagon is definitely a strange niche vehicle, but is pretty darn amazing. Back when I had my Mercedes, my friend was the service manager and he let me take a brand new G55 AMG for the day and it was awesome. That SUV is a tank! With that said, it's way too pricey and I'm likely not going to get it.

That's an interesting question - hehe - let's just say I live my own version of "Big Love".

-David

dtreidjr

Reaction score
This is the hookup for the Signature LED's.

http://www.leaguelineup.com/reidbuilders/photos/2011-12-01_22-22-49_398.jpg

I couldn't get that plug to come out though. i don't know if you need a tool to do it, but I couldn't get it to pop up without risking breaking something.

Now, I was trying to separate the light housing and don't know how it's done. The front of the lights is obviously the hard see thru plastic. The housing is all very hard plastic and where they clip together doesn't give without cracking or starting to crack. There really isn't any give between the two. i was hoping to get them separated so that I could get to the LED strips and see how easy they are to remove or change the bulbs.

Anyone done this before or have any tips? The good thing is that there has to be a way to program only the LED's to come on because as someone pointed out, if you turn the light switch on the inside of the car to one turn past the off position, it does just that. So there has to be a setting where those would stay on when the car is on.

Now, I'd just like to change out the LED strips or bulbs for brighter ones.

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked with the dealer about that. They say there is no way to have the LEDs come on only. They can program the DRLs to come on, which means low beams and LEDs. As far as I have been told, there is no way to program LEDs to be used as DRLs.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is the hookup for the Signature LED's. I couldn't get that plug to come out though. i don't know if you need a tool to do it, but I couldn't get it to pop up without risking breaking something.

Now, I was trying to separate the light housing and don't know how it's done. The front of the lights is obviously the hard see thru plastic. The housing is all very hard plastic and where they clip together doesn't give without cracking or starting to crack. There really isn't any give between the two. i was hoping to get them separated so that I could get to the LED strips and see how easy they are to remove or change the bulbs.

Anyone done this before or have any tips? The good thing is that there has to be a way to program only the LED's to come on because as someone pointed out, if you turn the light switch on the inside of the car to one turn past the off position, it does just that. So there has to be a setting where those would stay on when the car is on.

Now, I'd just like to change out the LED strips or bulbs for brighter ones.
Hey dtreidjr,

Keep us posted if you find anything, but I will tell you that there is no way the dealerships can program the LEDs only for DRLs - unfortunately. You can have it done, but they program the low beams and LEDs. Even though some people would not go through the hassle, I just turn the knob one click to the right (from the off position) to get the DRL effect. It's just habit for me - sort of like hitting that stupid ACCEPT button on the Nav.

-David

dtreidjr

Reaction score
for some reason, it wont let me post the pic of the LED harness. went back and tried to edit post, and it deleted it. will keep trying.

ycharlie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I know some people on the forum have done this in the past, but I'd like more information on how to change the stock LED lights to something more "white" and brighter. What size LED bulb do you use? What's a good source? Is the bulb change difficult?

Thanks!

-David

i did it. you need to remove the light housing and remove bolts that holds a bar in place. it takes some time but not all that difficult.

here's some more info and pix.

http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showpost.php?p=103688&postcount=23

dtreidjr

Reaction score
i did it. you need to remove the light housing and remove bolts that holds a bar in place. it takes some time but not all that difficult.

here's some more info and pix.

http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showpost.php?p=103688&postcount=23

I think you misunderstood the issue. What we're wanting to do is to take the housing apart and change the 10 LED Signature bulbs. I don't see any bars that are holding the clear front of the headlights onto the solid black back of the headlights.

Let me know if I'm wrong and you know how to take the headlight assembly apart. Not out, but apart once it's out. That would be great information.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4