Local Tire store refuses to install S rated tire on 2015 LR4

Discussion in 'LR4' started by Blake Middleton, May 22, 2019.

1. ar077

ar077 Member

Completely agree regarding tire age. When buying a set of tires I always check the DOT code to make sure they were all manufactured at--or close to--the same time and are not more than 2 years (preferably <1 year) old. And even if the spare hasn't touched the road I replace it every second tire change.

2. Quijote

Quijote Full Access Member

I'd agree with tire age. Note that age is not as critical when the car is out of the sunlight. Nothing degrades rubber and plastic more than UV. Leaving a car out 100% of the time in a sunny place could make the tires degrade in just a few years. This is why there was a recommendation on not having tires older than 6 years.

3. BeemerNut

BeemerNut Full Access Member

Perfect, cash and carry walk in dismounts, mount and balance. A little bit of extra trouble and time with another vehicle to transport wheels and new tyres. Savings alone purchasing tyres from someone else more than having another vehicle transporting.......Try dealing with changing tyres on split rims.....~~=o&o>.......

4. magus

magus Full Access Member

Makes sense to me that places like Discount would only support factory equivalent or better load ranges: "The load index explicitly indicates how much weight a tire can carry."

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019