looking at a 2003 SE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

dpakman91

Hello everyone, I joined to get some information from freelander owners about this car.

Tomorrow i am test driving a 2003 freelander SE with 49k miles. My friend works at the dealership I'm driving it at. The car is priced as $18500, but he says I will probably end up with a price of about $17500.

here are my questions:

1) How is this price? (i assume it varies depending on where in the country you are.

2) I'm driving a 99 acura tl currently, and like the idea of a small SUV, but one of the things that struck me in pictures i saw of the interior is how "barebones" it seems to be, especially the dash. i dunno if i will like the change from the TL.

3) i heard, but haven't yet seen firsthand, that the gagues are small and not very brightly lit. any thoughts on this?

4) how is the 4x4? i won't be taking it offroad, but am in massachusetts so there is plenty of snow.

5) i've read that the pros to this car are it's smooth quiet ride, and that it's built well, and the cons are it's somewhat small and has slow acceleration and bad gas mileage.

6) ANYTHING else i should know about this car. cars i've owned in the past are, since i got my license in 2000 (i'm 21 now)
1991 firebird (hahah)
1993 ford explorer
1995 grand cherokee
1996 lexus sc300
1999 acura TL (currently)

i don't usually keep cars long...the 3 years i've had my TL are the longest i've kept a car.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
The only down side I have heard on the Freelanders are that there have been issues with the engine... (i.e. it just stops running) complete engine replacement required.

Talk with the service guys before you buy.

J

JC0976

If you don't like the "barebones" version, look for an 04/05 as they improved the interior look dramatically (and exterior). I had an 02 until I recently got into an LR3 and the Freelander never disappointed me during the 3 years/ 40K for its worthiness and off road / snow capability. It just got a bit small... And if you forget some of the ghost of Lucas episodes, the car was reliable.
The 02 interior also made me want to look for something else as it reminded me of and 85 Sentra but clad in leather.

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo