LR 4 Retired

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheWidup

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 3rd row has been invaluable to my crew. I do hate that rubber mat for when I need to pop them up but deal with it as needed. I was thinking of the future the other day as I've been told this is going to be the "family" car in 4 years. I have 3 dogs and the space in the back has been awesome but now I'm looking at what "might be" in 4 scope for 4 years from now and I don't see anything that fits the space that LR4 has filled for us. The cargo capacity stands out alone in this space and I guess I might need to be looking at a '16 in '23.

KevinRR

Reaction score
went with the 4runner. agree that it is a step down except in anticipated reliability and resale. more than adequate for any off road activities for me.

the straw that broke the camel's back was combo of brakes (forgot how may sets I replaced), bushings and the tick-tock of a loose timing chain that I knew was looming.
If the timing chain tensioners have to be replaced you are almost "upside down" in it, financially speaking.

I enjoyed driving the LR4. Distinct. Not. too many on the road, but in the end I decided to tighten the financial belt. If I could keep it as a 3rd car, then perhaps it would be cool to have in the stable.

I wouldn't call it a step down. Anyone that buys a 4Runner know it's not a luxury SUV. It's great for off-roading has kick ass features(crawl control, atrac, locker and multi terrain). Not to mention reliability and resale value. I have a 4Runner and a Disco 1 and both are great vehicle.

Lakeranger

Reaction score
I'm keeping my 07 RR/SC but it now has 220k miles and I don't trust it's reliabilty. So I purchased a 2020 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro for its reliability, resale value, and outstanding off road capabilities. Although I haven't adjusted to its lack of power. You get spoiled driving a Land Rover with it's power and luxurious ride.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I totally thought it would get more use but well, since buying it new in 2007, there have been maybe 5 times the 3rd row was occupied. I had a new 06 Land Cruiser before this... I try not to think how 'uneventful' that ownership could've been...

@jwest

Now I've gone and done it. Fortified myself with a couple beers and hit the garage while the wife was out with some friends.

3rd row is now sitting behind the Porsches in the garage. I just need a buddy to help me get it to the attic next time she is out.

If I get in trouble, I'm telling her this bad man on the internet goaded me into it.;)

It was a little more of a pain than the second row seat, but 20 minutes with a T50 bit sees it going in or coming out. On the plus side, I was able to remove some hidden marbles, Baskin-Robbins spoons and other assorted accoutrement from when the Rover was on mommy duty early in its life.

Practically speaking, I have historically rolled with two pelican cases. One containing my recovery gear, and one containing my tools. I think the contents of both of those will fit in the newly available space and allow other gear to move into the pelicans.

I'm now mentally debating whether I want to just throw the rubber liner over it, or find a local shop with a plasma table and fab up some kind of rigid cover. I'm kind of leaning towards just throwing the mat over it for easier accessibility to what is down there. I'm hoping the rear portion of the sleeping platform would provide enough protection from flying contents in the event of a rollover since it is rigidly mounted to the factory D-rings with 4 turnbuckles and it's plywood cover is secured to it with 10 separate T-nuts.

magus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2012 has 85K on it and has been pretty much maintenance free for 7 years. I did put some money into it recently but because it was time and not because anything was wrong. Thats about $643/year for maintenance outside of oil changes/tires etc...

I'm in the process of turning it into a much better 4x4 now that it isn't the daily driver. The combination of comfort, storage and off-road capabilities - beyond the glory of a nice, boxy style, make it hard to beat in my book.

i don't think it's ever going away in it's new role, but if there is going to be a new vehicle in the future, the Rivian pick-up has a good shot...

LR4USN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As a self-proclaimed, car nut, LR loyalist, I'm picking up my 6th Land Rover - CPO '16 LR4 Landmark 37k miles - My 3rd 4.

I dearly miss my '08 LR3 Lux, traded it in for the '16 RRSC V8 Dyn miss that as well, not in the same nostalgic way. But the 3/4 is just perfect utility, comfort, and iconic style.

Landmark is loaded, even has adaptive cruise option, minus RSE, which I had in my '11 Lux and never used.

Happy New Year to all!
0819F326-A306-4A61-99B7-EDAB928805F8_1_201_a.jpeg

FF321F83-879C-4468-ADD0-626ABCE6E873.jpeg

Chantel

Reaction score
My 2012 LR 4 has been retired from service. End of an era. It made it to 90K miles, but repair costs were starting to add up. I appreciate all of the advice here along the way. Jumping ship to Toyota. Giving up polish and style points, but hope to make it up in reliability. I think the off road abilities will be on par for my needs. Best wishes to all of this supportive community.

last thread prompt; when the time comes, what will you switch to?

I have a 2011 LR4 with 203,000 miles- runs good but yes little things keep needing repairs.. love the V8 and 3rd row seat!! Unfortunately not sure what to replace with!! Any suggestions!!???

horns

Reaction score
I have a 2011 LR4 with 203,000 miles- runs good but yes little things keep needing repairs.. love the V8 and 3rd row seat!! Unfortunately not sure what to replace with!! Any suggestions!!???

203K is a good run! Needs and desires obviously change over the years. I no longer need the 3rd row with the kids now much older. I have also become more frugal or less tolerant of some of the costs associated with owning a depreciating asset. - hence I jumped ship to Toyota. I was not willing to give up off road utility yet.
I do think we are in an interesting time for vehicles. As another mentioned, the Rivian seems interesting. However, they need years to work the bugs out. The electric powertrains are going to be far more reliable in the long run. Off topic, but walking into the Toyota dealership was like stepping back in time. These guys are stuck about 2 decades in the past. The technology is laughable compared to Tesla or other more contemporary offerings.
Find something that brings you joy when you drive it, but balances your current needs / wants / budget. The hunt is part of the fun.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut