LR3 Backup Camera

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2005LR3

Does anyone know if LR is going to over a backup camera on the 2006 LR3?

I currently own a 2005 LR3 and would like to add a backup camera. It seems logical since the new 2006 RR is offering a backup camera and that both the LR3 and RR use the same navigation systems. All you would need in theory is the camera/wiring and a reverse switch to change the navigation screen to a camera mode.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very much doubt it. 2006 Range Rover Sport, which is more upscale and the same platform as the LR3, doesn't even offer it.

Yes, the core system does have support for a rear view camera... but it's not enabled/supported in LR3 or RRS and no "clean" method has been discovered to use it. Send LR your formal feedback. There is always a slim ghost of a chance they could offer an accessory if demand is high enough. Or at least they'd consider it for the next redesign.

Contact your local custom installer and see what they can do. Bypass systems are done all the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
N

NJLR3

You could get a SAVV rearview mirror and add a rear cam. I did this on my H2. I also ran NAV to it. As soon as you put it in reverse the reverse cam pops on the SAVV's 5 inch screen.
STA_0444.jpg

T

texas911

Wasn't Land Rover going to offer the remote camera for the LR3? The one that you can attach almost anywhere and view it on your Nav display? So that you don't need a spotter outside your car, you can mount the camera where you need it. Wirelessly of course. Or was that some other manufacturer.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, that was the VentureCam for the '05 Range Rover, which was not released in North America (probably due to safety or legal concerns.) I personally think it was pretty stupid since 1) the camera can't automatically move to the spot you'd want to see; while someone is moving it, they might as well spot... & 2) I don't think I'd want to focus looking at a LCD screen while doing a high risk manuever.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

GadgetRick

I'm actually looking into a system like this for my Disco. I worry more about running over a child than I do backing into someone's BMW 7 series. I've seen systems on eBay for as little as $200 (or so). Haven't decided which one to get yet.

I don't really care for the one in the mirror. I don't want to replace the mirror. I want to mount a small LCD screen on the driver's side visor so I just flip it down to see. This way, it's out of the way when not in use.

They have small cameras with a wide angle lense which mounts to your license plate screw. I'll probably go with one of these.

The Rickster

F

Freeflytim

Rick- be a guinea pig- buy one!

I wanna one for the back for 4x4 use. I hate backing up into the unknown!

G

GadgetRick

Yeah Free, that's another use for it. :)

I'll be buying one shortly. I'll let everyone know how it goes...

The Rickster

N

NJLR3

It comes in very handy in quite a few circumstances, especially when you are backing up to hook up a trailer. I have done this many times and can back the hitch ball to meet the trailer perfectly everytime by yourself.
By the way, with the SAVV mirror you keep your OEM mirror. The SAVV just clips over the OEM.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM