LR3 Help with Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RoverGuy7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Strange things can happen. If it was beginning to go, then yes, should have been caught, especially if the shop that checked it out knows Rovers, it's pretty common. But, one *** hole at just the right speed, and just the right angle can cause this (not to scare you with that) I would say chances are that it was loose, and it got a lot worse over a short period of time, *** hole scenario.

grecoroman

Reaction score
That makes sense to me. When I picked up the car, the only thing I noticed was vibration from approx 48mph to 53mph. There wasn't any front end noise at all. I assumed that since the tie rod ends had a little play in them it was related to that.

Should this fix the vibration issue, or could that be something else?

RoverGuy7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A bad bearing can cause a vibration. Usually a precisely speed dependent vibration is in tire balance though.

grecoroman

Reaction score
A bad bearing can cause a vibration. Usually a precisely speed dependent vibration is in tire balance though.

Hi Dave-

I can't thank you enough for your help on these issues. I was very worried that there was a major issue -- drove the car home after picking it up and heard that front end noise made me think of the worst case scenario. Glad that this was a relatively minor fix. I hope that someone else who hears front end noise can reference my videos and the diagnosis for peace of mind.

Best-
grecoroman

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a strange grinding / squealing noise similar to your videos. I'm booked in next Tuesday to see what the problem is I presume it's a bad bearing(s). We'll see. Thanks for posting.

grecoroman

Reaction score
I have a strange grinding / squealing noise similar to your videos. I'm booked in next Tuesday to see what the problem is I presume it's a bad bearing(s). We'll see. Thanks for posting.

You bet -- it's a pretty unique noise. I would bank on it. I didn't have time to price out parts and labor, but i would definitely recommend getting the Timken Hub Assembly from partsgeek.com for $175, and make sure the labor isn't quoted at more than 1.5 hours.

Link to Part

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635